Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 185

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 110 Front Anti Sway Bar
Just popping in
Just popping in

CorvetteBob1
See User information
I have a 1940 110 and the front anti sway bar has separated from the right hand connecting link. If I replace it with a used or NOS assembly it probably will not last very long so what I would like to do is replace the assembly with one from a more modern car that uses modern connecting links at both top and bottom. Has anyone out there preformed this modification and if so what year, make & model car do I need to find for the donor parts?

Posted on: 2016/5/19 0:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 110 Front Anti Sway Bar
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day CorvetteBob1,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't assist with your query.

I do, however, invite you to include your '40 110 2 Door in the Packard Owner's Registry together with your '53 Clipper 2 Door.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 3:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I replace it with a used or NOS assembly it probably will not last very long.....

I would not make that assumption - replacing it with original type parts should give a very long service life.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC, someone made a repair kit for the original style bars and links. Don't remember who made it but I believe Joe Santana had one. During the time the discussion on using it was taking place didn't one of the regions investigate having some new sway bars made. I believe they were going to make or adapt some bars for prewar models with the links attached more like the 48-50 versions. Did anything ever happen on that project?

Posted on: 2016/5/19 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I would try Ron Carpenter 1 925 980 0208

Posted on: 2016/5/19 10:15

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Yes, I am the person developing the replacement sway bar for the 1941-42 Packards. I am about certain my sway bar will also fit the 1940 models also.

I have prototype sample in my hands and I am sending off the final design change to the supplier now and then production will start. First run of the new sway bars should be ready in 6 to 8 weeks. You will find this to be FAR superior to any "fix-it kit" and in line with the design that Packard used just after the war.

Owen, generally finding an NOS would be preferred, but that it NOT the case for this part.

The links at the each end of the sway bar were held in place with a vulcanized rubber connection. Over time the rubber breaks down and now you have metal-on-metal rubbing together - thus losing any effect the sway bar has on handling. More metal-on-metal rubbing and soon the part fails altogether.

The "fix-it kit" really never solved the problem. One was installed by the previous owner of my 1941 120 business coupe, so I know what I am talking about. The kit consisted of repairing the broken link then inserting some rubber biscuits and holding everything together with only a cotter pin. This NEVER attached the sway bar correctly as Packard designed. It only held the parts together just enough for you to see a sway bar on the frame of the car. I seriously doubt it worked as well as an original part back in the day.

Hang in there and stay tuned as the new part will be ready soon.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 10:18
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved