Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

DJP-37-120, kg911, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head Bolt Nuts and Washers and Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
I received the gone over head last night from the machine shop to repair a broke off spark plug, cleaning and truing (decking)and im getting ready to install all the cleaned and painted parts yay!!!!!

I have a few questions

The nuts look ok i chased the threads and they go on nice and easy but i have one nut that isnt the same as the other 20 something.......and the washers are haggered and different thicknesses. Can the nuts and washers be bought locally ???? whats the washer thickness supposed to be???? does it really matter. Kanters has them but i think there made of gold!!!!!

The head gasket i received from Kanter has a copper side and a paper side what side goes against the block?????? and do you guys use any gasket sealer on the head gasket??? maybe some problem spots......experience knows best....and im not experienced on Packards yet.

What would the most that could be taken off the head to deck it???

Posted on: 2018/8/28 10:40
Pat and Melanie Westerkamp

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Bolt Nuts and Washers and Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information

Posted on: 2018/8/28 12:10
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The washers are harder than standard and are available from industrial supply companies as "hardened washers". the nuts are 7/16-20 thread and are "extra heavy series", thus the non standard 3/4 hex for that thread size. Using one standard size nut won't kill you.

Posted on: 2018/8/28 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Just as a side-addendum to this post, I too am in the process of a total machine shop rebuild. I notice on some of the archived photos on this site that some owners have what looks like chrome acorn head nuts. They look sharp and dress the old flathead up a bit. I checked with John Ulrich and he said what a lot of people do is use 'Faux' acorn nuts that go over the existing regular nuts. I did do some looking online for the 'real deal', but for 27 of them (or so) it would be prohibitive (for me, at least) Anyone have any tips, sources, advice on such an endeavour????

Posted on: 2018/8/29 21:41
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't have a recommendation on using them or not but if you do go with chrome acorn nuts be sure to get them from a reliable vendor who sells and stands by them being the proper grade for head use. Good ones might cost a bit more but a few years ago someone was selling ordinary strength nuts which were bought because of the price. Several reported they stripped out when approaching the proper torque and there was no satisfaction from the seller. I have no doubt crap vendors and nuts not strong enough for head use are still out there.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 22:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Rehashing this - cylinder head nuts/washers:

Would these be appropriate for the cylinder head, or overkill/too weak for the application? The dimensions of the nut match what's on the car, but they're somewhat taller than what's on there:https://www.mcmaster.com/90521a110/

And for the washers, these seem to match the dimensions of what is on the car currently:https://www.mcmaster.com/98180A140/

Thanks!

Posted on: 1/11 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What year and engine is this thread referring to?

Posted on: 1/12 13:55
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Sorry! It's actually a 1950 2302 with a 327. The nuts on the car are 7/16-20 and have a width of 3/4". It seemed as though my 327 would share the same nuts as were being discussed previously in the thread. Sorry again, and thank you in advance.

Posted on: 1/12 14:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

1929ClubSedan
See User information
7/16-20 is UNF (United National Fine) thread. Get a die nut and run it over the studs to clean them up if you have not done so already. THe gasket sounds like a compound material which I have used successfully. The copper side goes to the head, the bottom I would assume would have a lapped in burn ring to go to the head side to get the seal between head and block. Have the head shaved if needed to make sure the are no warps, highs or lows so it is perfectly flat using a flat edge and feeler guage to find any highs or lows.

Posted on: 1/14 1:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved