Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 72 73 74 (75) 76 77 78 ... 144 »

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Looks great!

For the heater, I would shut it off, especially if you're planning on running it for some amount of time. Can you pull the connections and just insert pipe plugs for now until you get the heating system components restored?

Posted on: 2021/5/7 12:18
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Vacuum lines are quarter inch steel lines.

For the heater bypass if a valve or plugs is not a good option use a length of rubber hose between the ports. Place some kind of wood or metal plug in the hose that is large enough to not go inside the metal connections and will stop the flow. If there is flow present the hot water will in effect be continually short circuited and a substantial portion will keep heating up and never reach the radiator for cooling.

Posted on: 2021/5/7 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the tips. I'll pick up some 1/4" lines today and get the vacuum lines on.

The car came to me with no heater valve installed, so there were only two hoses....one from the water pump to the heater core, and the other from the heater core to the block. So I can just undo those hoses at the heater core and plug them?

The entire heating system is going to have to be rebuilt, but I need to get the car on the road and begin testing other systems first. I won't be needing a heater until late fall, so I'm in no hurry to tackle that.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/5/7 13:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You could remove the long hose from the heater core and the short hose from the head outlet. Plug the long hose and reconnect the former heater end to the head outlet. When you get the core and valve fixed you will probably want new hoses anyway.

Posted on: 2021/5/7 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Gentlemen,

Celebrate with me a major milestone....the Panama's first drive on on an actual road!

It's been 10 months since I bought the car and in my time owning it, it has never seen pavement. The extent of its "driving" was down the gravel driveway to the neighbor's shop and lift. There were times when I thought that I would never reach this point, so it was a great day to actually be able to drive the car.

Video:

Last night and this morning my brother in law and I worked like crazy to get everything wrapped up. We bled the brakes last night twice and got a nice firm pedal. We adjusted the brakes on all four corners, and my neighbor checked them all and gave us a thumbs up. Also adjusted the parking brake.

Also finally got around to making and installing new vacuum lines from the fuel pump. Two lengths of rubber vacuum hose, and two lengths of 1/4" steel tubing. Pretty simple to do overall.

I washed the car for the first time in many months. It looked much better afterwards. The lack of weather stripping means a good amount of water got on the carpet. Eventually I'll get that dealt with. We had a short debate on whether or not I should put the wheel covers on, because the blue wheels look great against the whitewalls. But I like things to be as original as possible, so I polished up the wheel covers and slammed them on.

After some fiddling with tuning the engine (didn't help much) I took it out on the road for a test, with a chase vehicle in case things went horribly wrong. I'm happy to say that all went relatively well! In fact, I ended up going on several test drives, as did my brother in law. Probably went 15 miles total. Not much, but enough to do a quick shakedown.

A couple of observations.
The good:
1.) Brakes work great. No pulsing, pulling, squealing, etc. Firm pedal.
2.) Transmission works! Direct drive lock up occurs about 35 mph and shifts out of direct drive when coming to a stop. Once or twice it didn't shift down, but for the most part it worked fine.
3.) Drives straight with no major wandering
4.) Fairly smooth over bumps
5.) No overheating. The temp stayed just about the center of the gauge the whole time. Checked temp on various parts of the engine with an infrared thermometer and nothing was high.

The bad:
1.) Engine performance is not good yet. We redid the initial timing, cleaned the points and gapped them correctly. Idle is not perfect, still runs a bit rich, but does seem to smooth out at speed. I'm going to do all new ignition parts and go from there.
2.) Stumble on initial acceleration
3.) lots of rattling in the doors due to no weather strip.
4.) On my last test drive I heard a squeaking or chirping coming from somewhere in the rear. Very minor, but definitely noticeable. It was not there on the first several tests that I could tell. I'm hoping it's not one of my bearings....ugh.

All in all, I'm just happy I was able to drive the car!

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  New vacuum lines.jpg (133.60 KB)
1059_60975b22b866d.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Sans wheel covers.jpg (94.90 KB)
1059_60975b444cc4f.jpg 1024X570 px

jpg  Brother in law at the wheel.jpg (138.91 KB)
1059_60975b6ba7df1.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  First ride for the kids.jpg (124.90 KB)
1059_60975b774fb0d.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  Happy to be driving.jpg (109.46 KB)
1059_60975c9457612.jpg 1024X558 px

Posted on: 2021/5/8 22:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Congratulations and well done! A just reward for all the work you've done. Nothing like being behind the wheel on that first drive.

Posted on: 2021/5/9 0:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
nice.

Posted on: 2021/5/9 9:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Awesome. Just awesome. And yes, the hubcaps are righteous.

Posted on: 2021/5/9 10:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Wow...Your Packard is so lucky that YOU purchased her...Great work all the way around...very impressive...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/5/9 11:10
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
Congratulations!!!

You've worked hard to get to this point. Enjoy it!

That first drive after tons of work to get them roadworthy... always a fantastic feeling.

Posted on: 2021/5/9 12:44
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 72 73 74 (75) 76 77 78 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved