Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Packard Six smoke and strong smell of gas coming from exhaust
Just popping in
Just popping in

Sabata
See User information
Hello everyone i have a 1938 packard six and just had the carb redone. When I it on there is white smoke and strong gas smell everytime I rev the engine. It seems as if the car running very rich. to much gas not enough air. Any ideas or where I can start looking for the problem. Thanks

Posted on: 2021/6/14 12:50
 Top  Print 

Re: 1938 Packard Six smoke and strong smell of gas coming from exhaust
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Definitely too much gas.
Check your float to make sure it is not sinking and that your inlet valve is closing completely. I have had a couple instances lately where brand new needle and seats leak.

Are you running the original fuel pump?

Posted on: 2021/6/14 15:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Sabata wrote:
Hello everyone i have a 1938 packard six and just had the carb redone. When I it on there is white smoke and strong gas smell everytime I rev the engine. It seems as if the car running very rich. to much gas not enough air. Any ideas or where I can start looking for the problem. Thanks

White smoke is oil, not gas. You may be dealing with multiple problems here - too much gas results in blackish/gray smoke, not white. Are you sure you're not confusing the smell of burning oil with the smell of gasoline? If you've got too much gas and are running that rich, you should usually have a bit of gasoline dripping out of the tailpipe or at least be able to feel gasoline in the tailpipe.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 16:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
White smoke is generally hot water vapor (steam) and suggestive of a blown headgasket or other condition allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. That doesn't necessarily explain your observation of strong gasoline odors but if for no other reason than to discount it, I'd check for coolant in the oil and loss of coolant. And perhaps a compression test.

Are you sure your choke valve is functioning? Assuming the choke is open and the air filter is clean and unobstructed, I'd suspect a faulty carburetor rebuild as a leading candidate.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 17:09
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sabata
See User information
Thank you and yes still running original fuel pump

Posted on: 2021/6/15 7:04
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sabata
See User information
Thank you and yes there is gasoline dripping down the tail pipe

Posted on: 2021/6/15 7:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Sabata,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '38 Six in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/6/15 16:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Doubt you have liquid gasoline coming out of the tailpipe. Gasoline is a hydrocarbon so the liquid your seeing drip out of the tailpipe is condensate water formed as a byproduct of the combustion process. A little white smoke at startup is normal, but a lot is not. 1. Pull a spark plug and see the color. If it is dry, black and sooty, the carb is too rich. Adjust the mixture valve on the carb to a leaner state. Oily and black would indicate piston ring problems. Plugs should be a tan/grayish color. 2. If plugs look fine and you're blowing lots of white smoke (think mosquito fumigator) then you likely have a headgasket issue where coolant is entering the combustion chamber as Mr. Dyneto indicates.

Posted on: 2021/6/19 4:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved