Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake pulling issue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I have a 56 coupe and it's with the mechanics now, they changed the shoes recently after doing that the car developed a problem, it pulls left after being driven for a short time. I took it back, they have tried,different shoes,hoses, bearings, turned drums, and rebuilt wheel cylinders, not sure what else might be wrong. The problem gets worse after driving the car, the shoes came off ebay. They are considering having a local brake line company reline the shoes. Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Posted on: 2021/7/7 10:08
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake pulling issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Could it be that one side has a softer lining than the other? Was a major adjustment performer and the shoes arced to the drums? Were the drums inspected and turned? Were the primary shoes put in the proper location? Were new springs used?

Posted on: 2021/7/7 12:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Regarding arcing the shoes....I talked to a half dozen shops around me to see if I could get my shoes arced, and they all looked at me like I was from another planet. They either didn't know what it was, or didn't have the tools to do it. In a larger city I may have had better success, but I'm in a small place.

I agree with Don though....there are a lot of variables with the brakes and it would be nice to know what exactly was done when the brakes were worked on.

My understanding is that changing the shoes requires the major brake adjustment outlined in the Service Manual (better yet watch Ross's video). Also, aren't drums normally turned when installing new shoes? Simple things like primary shoe towards the front or putting in the springs opposite might be part of the problem. Again, watch Ross's video. I've never done a thing with drum brakes before I did mine, but that video gave me confidence and now I know my brakes inside and out.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/7/7 13:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s why I do all work of this nature myself and it’s not difficult. As for turning the drums, it is not done by default. If you tell them to put in shoes, they will put in shoes! If you want it done properly, you have two choices: do it yourself or take it to a shop that specializes in vintage cars and what I do is to do the “grunt work” myself but take in the drums to be turned.

Having said that, I have never arced shoes but the anchor adjustments are another story and should always be done when changing shoes. However, few shops know about it as it wasn’t done on ‘60s and later cars.

Posted on: 2021/7/7 14:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Kevin, I've look for Ross's video and can't find it. Would you please post it?

Thanks Marty

Posted on: 2021/7/7 14:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Marty, here you go!

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/7/7 14:31
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Thanks for the response its appreciated, Ill try and address some points made here:
I believe shoes came from one vendor, and were replaced on both sides I will think that would mean the shoes have the same characteristics
These guys are an old car shop and arced the shoes as I understand it
Drums were turned
I'm not sure about the primary shoe position, and I suspect the springs were reused is there a vendor for those?

- To do check primary shoe pos and spring position correct??

I will cover these points with the mechanic in the morning and ask him to watch the video

Many thanks, I will post and update if and when we get to the bottom of this..

Posted on: 2021/7/7 19:33
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that all the brake springs are listed in the parts cross-reference area and can be purchased at Napa or other local shops. Failing that, the parts vendors sell them as kits although not necessarily in the proper colors.

Posted on: 2021/7/7 20:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I assume by "starts pulling" you mean when applying the brakes. Either the left is over applying or the right is not applying. If the master cylinder vent is clogged and the adjustment is too tight that can cause self application. If there is still air in the system that can expand with driving and cause problems. The left front wheel is closet to the master cylinder so getting the system up to temperature and putting it on a lift might yield some results. Hopefully they know about primary and secondary shoes.

Posted on: 2021/7/7 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
Sorry your having this problem.
I don't have a cure at least not right now
But
How long after you dive it, does this brake
pull occur? Is it right or left?
are you still using the original brake master
cylinder?

Now here is what I would do, since your mechanics
have tried, many things, switch the drums
then drive it and see what happens..
Also make sure the drums have the same thickness
and are with in tolerance.
To me it seems like the drum is over heating
causing the shoes to grab.
About arching shoes, in todays world most
are pre arched. A good brake shop still should
be able to to the job.. if not, their not that good.
you can to it at home with a file and sand paper.
All the Best

Posted on: 2021/7/8 17:03
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved