Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Stuck vent windows?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Does anyone know the cause/fix of vent windows sticking in these cars? Between my sedan and hardtop I have 6 stuck windows.

Was talking with Ross some time ago and he said (IIRC) that there's a nylon piece that breaks in them, however I have a rear window from a 53 200 to play with, it works and I don't see any such component. Likewise on the stuck ones (still on the car but the door cards/armrests are off so I can see in) I don't see where the problem would be.

On the front windows, they're supposed to turn a bit more than ¼ turn, right? The ones in my sedan are not important but I want to get the (front) ones working in my 400 over the winter if I can. But I don't see what's even wrong with them.

This is what I'm seeing in my 53 window in the open position. Did they change the design between 53 and 55?

Attach file:

jpg  20221106_163138.jpg (185.25 KB)
225076_6368281c16160.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/11/6 16:28
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re: Stuck vent windows?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Can it be that the rubber has hardened to the point that it is simply too stiff to allow the glass to move?

Posted on: 2022/11/6 16:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks but no, because I can open at least the front windows past where the rubber seal is.

That reminds me, I actually will be replacing the rubber seals for them when they are out. A bunch of Steele rubber came with the car, pretty much a complete set.

As a side note, the rubber is designed to to where the window is pushing more into a seal, than it is dropping into a groove.

Posted on: 2022/11/6 16:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The nut compressing the spring controls how hard it is to move the window. Conceivably there could be some rust and corrosion messing things up but the one or two small pieces in the yellow square are sort of triangular shaped and act as the stops by the point hitting the edge of the opening. As I recall, the triangles can be installed in different positions so if the rubber is supple enough and not causing the issue and the window has been apart it is possible someone installed the stops incorrectly and is the reason it only opens part way.

Attach file:

jpg  225076_6368281c16160.jpg (41.24 KB)
209_63682d62cc942.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 2022/11/6 16:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Humanpotatohybrid . . . HH56 is clearly a faster typist than I!

Referring to the picture you posted; for the frame and post to rotate one end of the coil spring must ‘slip’. Try some penetrating oil at both the top and bottom of the coil spring. If after a few applications the window doesn’t ‘frees-up’, then loosen the nut a bit and see if than gets things moving.

My vent windows open much more than 90 degrees. I guess you’re looking for smooth operation but with enough friction to keep the window from moving at speed. This particular window may have been adjusted years ago with some lubrication at the slipping interface. Perhaps 20 + years ago the lube left the scene, slowly being replace with rust. I would think the design would call for a washer at both ends of the spring, so either end participates in ‘lowest friction wins’ contest.

dp

Posted on: 2022/11/6 17:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Howard and David, I'll be disassembling the 53 window to see if I can move the stops around as that one opens only like 40°. It will at least give me something to expect when I do the others. As I recall the mechanism is the exact same.

Posted on: 2022/11/6 18:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The V8 front vent windows have a completely different system than the earlier cars. There is a nylon cylinder that slips over the D-shaped vent window axle. There is a loop of metal that acts as a brake on the nylon cylinder to control the opening friction.

Trouble occurs when the nylon bushing splits after the first 40 years or so and the D-shaped shaft acts as a cam to jam it up rather than rotate it.

Fame and fortune awaits the young man who 3D prints these bothersome boogers as a reasonable cost. I will take two. At least.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0375.JPG (272.32 KB)
618_636853dc68d56.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/11/6 19:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Ross, once I get my window out, if it's in large enough pieces to measure properly I plan to do that.

The previous owner actually removed that Phillips screw to allow the window to open some.

P.S. If you have enough space to get caliper jaws in there, an OD measurement would be appreciated, for accuracy. (Assuming that one is intact)

Posted on: 2022/11/6 20:13
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You for sure want to 3D print them out of nylon filament vs PLA. Both from a strength and temperature perspective. PLA while being the most forgiving to 3D print is not as strong as Nylon, and it is relatively low temp plastic.

Posted on: 2022/11/6 22:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
The V8 front vent windows have a completely different system than the earlier cars. There is a nylon cylinder that slips over the D-shaped vent window axle. There is a loop of metal that acts as a brake on the nylon cylinder to control the opening friction.

Trouble occurs when the nylon bushing splits after the first 40 years or so and the D-shaped shaft acts as a cam to jam it up rather than rotate it.

Fame and fortune awaits the young man who 3D prints these bothersome boogers as a reasonable cost. I will take two. At least.

if they are the same from side to side, send me a known good one and Ill see what I can do to get these 3D printed.

Posted on: 2022/11/7 9:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved