Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: Engine rebuild, help!
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hello all, back with more problems.
When I went to retorque my head studs I noticed that a couple of them were weeping coolant. Is this something I can fix by simply putting new paint over the top; or is that just going to be like putting lipstick on a pig?

Posted on: 4/25 14:15
If you want something done right; you have to do it yourself

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I mean that's an obvious symptom of a head gasket leak EXCEPT that you used a new head gasket, right? How much did the heads come untorqued in the meantime?

I don't see how paint would stop a pressurized coolant system from leaking, so did you mean that in terms of aesthetic touch-up, or?

Posted on: 4/25 14:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard went to a special rolled thread to help with this issue on engines made after 48. On a 48 you may or may not have had this stud but even if so equipped, sometimes during later repairs the special studs were not available so a damaged rolled thread stud was removed and block retapped for regular cut thread studs or in Don's case with his Henney, a regular bolt all of which have cut threads that were prone to leaking. It is also possible you have found an issue during the retorquing of rusted out or damaged block threads or a damaged stud just waiting to fail at an inopportune time.

If it held the new torque and it is a small weep and no danger of any coolant leaking into a cylinder it may reseal with time or you may be able to use one of the circulating sealants used in sealing up porous castings . Those go into the coolant and harden when they leak out and get exposed to air. If you don't want to try that -- and it may be a good idea to check the condition of the stud and threads anyway, then you will probably need to remove the leaking studs and put thread sealant on the threads going into the block.

Attach file:

jpg  studs.jpg (217.32 KB)
209_662aae320e890.jpg 542X1456 px

Posted on: 4/25 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are they still leaking after a retorque?

Some of the studs that go into a water-jacket area probably need thread sealer on them

A bandaid fix may be those radiator-stop leak tablets.

Posted on: 4/25 14:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Yes there is a brand new head gasket in there.

There is still coolant coming out after the retorque and only on studs above the water jacket.
Only some of the nuts moved a little bit, if at all.
I also only had it get up to temp a few times before the retorque. Should I maybe just try to retorque after more heat cycles?

I am unsure if I have the rolled or cut threads.
If the threads are rolled would they be rolled on the block side as well as the head side or just the block?
I ask because I know it is going ti be a pain to get the studs out as the machine shop i took it to said they tried but were unable to get any of them loose.
If they need thread sealer I am not sure I will be able to even get them out.

I want to do this right, not just put a bandaid on the problem.

Attached the most detailed photo I could find of the studs.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/25 18:59

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They are rolled only on the block end. In my own recent work that Howard so nicely mentioned with some reproduction studs from Tucson Packards, nuts would go on one end only but not on the other although I always use high temperature thread sealer anyway whenever replacing studs just as added insurance.

Posted on: 4/25 19:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
moodydavid16 wrote:......the machine shop i took it to said they tried but were unable to get any of them loose......

Does that make sense? If the threads are virtually undisturbed , why are there now leaks from around the studs? I don't have the answers, maybe someone smarter than me (wouldn't be hard) does?

Posted on: 4/25 22:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They have an interference fit so often require some heating of the block to remove them.

Posted on: 4/25 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
moodydavid16 wrote:......the machine shop i took it to said they tried but were unable to get any of them loose......

Does that make sense? If the threads are virtually undisturbed , why are there now leaks from around the studs? I don't have the answers, maybe someone smarter than me (wouldn't be hard) does?

That was a thought I too had creeping in the back of my mind…

Posted on: 4/25 22:27

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
They have an interference fit so often require some heating of the block to remove them.

Good to know,

Posted on: 4/25 22:30

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved