Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 109

29tons, John Sauser, kevinpackard, JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Questions on the 327
Just popping in
Just popping in

Packard Mack
See User information
I’m at a loss and I hope that some of you can suggest answers.
Years ago I was told by an old timer that placing a 288ci head on a 327 will up the compression ratio which must be true according to some of the blogs I’ve read on this site support his theory.
I acquired a 1949-50 Deluxe Eight Touring with three speed and overdrive from the original owner whose sir-name is Packard. She is in her late 90’s and does not remember many things about the car. The paperwork that came with the car gives me the impression that it was restored around 2010 at which time it was a show winner in a local car show. It’s a beautiful car, but by no means a show car. This is the third Packard that I have owned and realize that they are not hot rods, but I do enjoy a little extra umph (passing) on the highway as Idaho has a lot of busy two lane highways with 65 MPH speed limits.
I have questions:
1. PI states that it is a 1949 (2362-5) but it is titled as a 1950. Any suggestions as to why?
2. Car has been reengined with a 1954 327ci (M300190) 5 main bearing power plant. It does sport a 288ci head with no other markings and a two barrel Carter WGD728 carb. Now I’m assuming that the carburation on this 327ci engine was a four barrel from the factory??
3. Is it worthwhile to look for a four-barrel manifold and carb and correct sized filter?
4. Is the engine being choked down with the size of the single exhaust?
5. Can anyone tell me what the compression ratio is as it is presently set up?
Thanking you in advance for all of your imput……

Posted on: 2022/12/8 1:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Questions on the 327
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have a M3 engine in my car also with a 288 head. That engine would have come in the 54 Clipper Deluxes and a 2bl Carter Carb is correct.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 7:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The -5 indicates it is a 1950.

I find the 2bbl carb has a bitter tip-in than the 4 bbl and feels more lively in day to day driving. I am running the same powertrain in my '53 and it is very peppy and flexible. I seldom take it over 80 but it doesn't mind it a bit. Consumer Reports referred to that powertrain as "excessively powered" Yes please. Your compression ratio would have been 8:1 with the original '54 head. Your compression ratio would roughly be 327/288 x CR of the 288 head. Those came in various flavors over the years--look for a cast date near the thermostat housing. Generally speaking flatheads with a lot of compression become fussy, harsh, and don't add as much fun as one hopes. Your car will have the same size exhaust the '54 did. Check the front runner of the intake manifold, it should have 327 cast into it as the runners were a small shade larger than the intakes used on the 288s.

In any event, running 65 in an overdrive car is not remotely a problem.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 8:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an article from the July, 1950 Service Counselor on raising compression ratios by combining various heads. Based on the article I would guess your current ratio is around 7.8 to 1.

Attach file:

jpg  ratio.jpg (216.13 KB)
209_6391fcd379253.jpg 1920X990 px

Posted on: 2022/12/8 10:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
This chart on this website lists all the possible head/block combinations and the resulting compression ratios.

compression ratios for postwar head/block combos

Posted on: 2022/12/8 10:26
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Packard Mack
See User information
Thanks everyone for your input. Just a few more things to do like pull the water distribution tube before I start the car.
How many of you acquired an auto without hearing it run? Well, in this case I may be a glutton for punishment.

Posted on: 2022/12/9 17:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Packard Mack,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '50 Deluxe Eight Touring in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/12/9 17:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t think I ever heard any of my Packards run before purchasing them! I had heard my 1956 Clipper run only because I had bought it from a good friend and had worked on it for him over the years but all of the others - and there were many - were purchased without having heard them.

Posted on: 2022/12/9 18:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
A four barrel might not be a bad idea. I'm looking to upgrade the carb on my 359. Speedway sells an adapter plate for the WCFB that came on it so that you can use an Edelbrock 1404, which at 500 CFM shouldn't be overkill and should be a nice addition.

Of course, if you have the carb starter switch gizmo, you'll have to rethink something on that. I'm thinking old school starter button.

Posted on: 2022/12/10 21:25
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you want the starter switch in the 4-barrel carburetor it would have to be a 1953 carb. 1954 didn't use it.

Posted on: 2022/12/11 3:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved