Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Motor Trend & Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I just read that the parent holding company of Motor Trend and Hot Rod Magazine and owners of several other automotive publications just went into Chapter 11.

I wonder if this filing of Chapter 11 by the parent company can be blamed on labor unions.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/4/28 14:43
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Motor Trend & Hot Rod
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am sure there will be enough suspects for all to grab a share of the blame but more likely their buying public & advertisers are as fickle as the newspaper crowd.

I used to be one of the mag publishers best friends but when they all pretty much started running the same press release verbatim or all testing the same cars (or any other item--name it), it's time to thin.

Am sure others will defend them but as to Motor Trend & Hot Rod, still glance at them while waiting for the car to be lubed but there has, IMHO, for several years been very little worth reading & paying good money for.

And probably be one to lament the fact they are no longer around if they do go under.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
With the thinning of automobiles & high performance cars, it gets kind of boring reading motor trend testing 4 door sedans & SUVs. When I had a subscription as a kid (1988-96) I remember reading about Corvettes,Nissan NSX, & more peppy cars that were fun to read and look at. I just lost all interest in newer cars and subscribed to classic car mags instead. The 1990's were a time in which car makers were making a "sports package" meant bolting a fiberglass fin on the trunk lid & adding front fog lamps and low performance tires. The cars was still a 4 door gutless driver (with afew exceptions). For the new cars I usually get info from Consumer reports etc. As HH56 stated, I do thumb through it at the doctors office,dentist, & local Oil-Lube joint.

As for Hot Rod mag, I hope it sticks around, as it was always a staple publication for the early modders.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I have to agree. I've been a subscriber to Automobile magazine for over 15 years, and have decided to let my subscription run out.

Modern cars have become so homogenized, a Chevy is a Pontiac is a Opel is a Holden is a Toyota. Quality of cars, even American ones, is at an all time high, but there seems little be excited about lately. I see pics and articles about show cars cool styling and upcoming technologies, but am always disapointed when the new models come out. Everthing is dumbed-down and bland.

I do my research on any particular model I may be interested in actually buying, other than that it's no longer compelling enough to keep up with the others.

I get much more satisfaction from reading Collectible Automobile or Hemmings.

I would hate to see Hot Rod go though. It's always good to see someone do something interesting with cars.(Psst, don't tell anyone I approve of modifying old cars!)

Posted on: 2009/4/28 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have let all of my auto magazine subscriptions expire. Now, I will see which one I miss and buy at Barnes & Noble. I find the publications from the clubs I belong to (PAC, PI, CCCA, AACA) are far more interesting reading than the magazines I was getting. Plus, I am saving money. I will probably resubscribe to Auto Week and Old Cars Weekly, but that is about it.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 9:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I'm letting my subscription to Automobile run out as well.
Not much content worth reading..and the ads in the back for ..uh.."enhancement products" are a little unnerving..
My wife bought me a subscription to AutoWeek..which is every other week..and most of the time the magazine is packed with stories about NASCAR and F1 racing..that subscription will also "run out.."
I'm spending my money on Hemmings publications and that's about it. Good money spent there..

Posted on: 2009/4/29 13:44
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Quote:
I'm spending my money on Hemmings publications and that's about it. Good money spent there..

Which ones in particular? Classic Car? Motor News?

Posted on: 2009/4/29 15:06
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I get Hemmings Classic Car. The articles are a quick read, but have very interesting content. Nice tech article feature every issue. A lot of little snipets about cars from all era's as well. Go for a guy who likes all kinds of old cars.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Had a subscription to Hot Rod mid 60's to early 70's because it got it to me a lot quicker, 1 month, than waiting for it to appear on the newsstands here in Oz, 3 months! Dad used to get Motor Trend through the lending library of the American Information Service in Sydney, it was free. Biggest memory of Hot Rod was seeing a pic of my mate Gordon's Model A Ford powered dragster in it!

Posted on: 2009/4/30 5:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Hot rod used to be a favorite of mine when i was growing up. but once it became a magizine based on "bought rods" that are fiberglass most of the time, i quit reading it. i still look at it from time to time. but now i prefer Ol skool rods, car kulture delux, or rod and kulture. these three mags suit me best

Posted on: 2009/4/30 20:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved