Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

NEW PRODUCT - White Glove Collection - Cormorant, Swan, Pelican, Pidgeon - Whatever ...
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Never mind... You guys can make your own hood ornaments... Such criticism over the name of a bird... Wow just wow... My Holocaust surviving parents spoke of less hate than su8overdrive showed in his post.

Must be pick on Romanian Jew day here at the packardinfo.com ... lmao ...

On second thought - here's the product again just to show that Jews don't back down in the face of criticism ...

The White Glove Collection would like to formally introduce a new product.

The cormorant, swan, pelican, pidgeon, parrot, crow, hood ornament was introduced as a senior or deluxe hood ornament in the early 1930s. It was in use until 1957 in highly stylized form.

This is an exact reproduction, the mold of which was made from an original piece. All four pieces are NEW castings and triple chrome plated.

The link and some pictures are listed below.

Haters will hate but the more they hate the more it tells me I'm doing something they can only dream of... if you're gonna hate, at least show me your classic car reproduction product line.

https://whiteglovecollection.com/shop/packard-cormorant-swan-hood-ornament-and-radiator-cap/

Attach file:

jpg  1.jpg (61.68 KB)
2652_63f76014a8c50.jpg 723X723 px

jpg  2.jpg (55.77 KB)
2652_63f76022332a7.jpg 614X725 px

Posted on: 2023/2/22 16:11
 Top  Print   
Hug (1)

Re: NEW PRODUCT - White Glove Collection - Cormorant Swan Hood Ornament & Radiator Cap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's a pelican or cormorant, NOT a swan! Never was called a swan.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 16:24
 Top  Print   

Re: NEW PRODUCT - White Glove Collection - Cormorant Swan Hood Ornament & Radiator Cap
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sure looks like a Swan to me regardless of what Packard called it. Pelicans and Cormorants are much different looking birds. But, what the hey it's all in the past anyhow.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 17:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Through the eyes of a child…. It’s a swan…. That’s what I called it back then…. Pissed my grandfather off many times as a kid… so now… I call it that if I want just cause I can.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 17:51
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The ornament was intended as homage to the noble pelican of the Packard family crest, plucking from its own breast to feed its young. In the '30s, one of Packard's advertising fellows thought the rapacious cormorant, which steals from other birds, more elegant.

What's lost in this shuffle is that the cars look cleaner, innately elegant with the standard bale ornament instead of the above gargoyle. You can't tack on elegance, understatement. Just as we've seen imposing Super 8s and Twelves in photos of big city Packard showrooms in the late '30s shod only in black sneakers, so also were they displayed with simple bale ornaments.

When people offer pricey reproductions of baubles the history of which they do not understand, their sole intent is clear.

The "cormorant" overpowers the car, makes it look comic opera. Rolls-Royce got by with a small figurine, Bentley a simple flying B, Hispano-Suiza a diminutive horizontal stork, even the overblown Duesenberg J for the arriviste a small suggestion of fleetness.

For the insecure, the Winged Goddess of Speed is less obtrusive and sleeker, as is, for earlier models, Adonis, Sliding Boy.

(Please don't tell us the cormorant was standard on '40 180s. Packard was waning by then, good sales that year only because of drastic price cuts, and 2/3rds of their output 110s; desperately playing on their past while GM unveiling racy new C bodies.)

If you want to offer something useful, how about silkscreening our original cowl delivery plates? Many have the inscribed signature, stamp of the dealership selling our cars, and we'd like to keep that, not have a new piece of tin from Taiwan.

And if you really want to be useful, there are any number of electromechanical bits in short supply for various models you might reproduce.

The focus on bolt on effluvia like the above underscores most today more interested in talking about their garage queens and looking at pictures of shiny old cars online.

Meanwhile, this wonderful site for the preservation and rejuvenation of some of the best road cars, luxe or not, of the first half of the 20th Century concludes with a forum for "Packard Parts & Miscellaneous." Have used it to offer spares for sale. It works. Try it.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 19:13
 Top  Print   
Hate (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I couldn't agree more and always preferred the bail on my several former 1940 and 1941 Packards. It was very clean and no much worry of someone trying to steel it either.

As for pelican vs cormorant, yes, they are entirely different birds but both are sea birds while a swan is not. Here on the West Coast, I often see cormorants sunning themselves on rocks while having their wings standing high above them. We have pelicans here too, of course, but I have never seen them do that.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 19:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Sorry I brought it up... Geez what a bunch ...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
You can call the damned bird Fred for all I care.

Which reminds me, I have a 22/23 series bird I should sell off to someone lacking one, as I'll never use it.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 6:17
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Quote:

su8overdrive wrote:

When people offer pricey reproductions of baubles the history of which they do not understand, their sole intent is clear.

Sorry for being in business to make money - wow what a novel and out of the ordinary idea - please enlighten me as to the sole intent of making Packard automobiles - charity, fulfillment of a childhood dream, just for shits and giggles or ... was it to make a few bucks? ... hater

Posted on: 2023/2/23 7:51
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
We should we celebrating folks that actually take on the challenge of trying to reproduce items for us. It's a very small a challenging market and tooling and design costs are not cheap.

Your welcome to your opinion, but not at degradation of others. At least not on this forum.

"Cars built by Gentleman, for Gentleman."

Let's try to adhere to that.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 8:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (3)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I am so embarrassed by the vitriol spewed toward a member of this site. I demand an apology be issued to Crin, he deserves better than to have been treated in this shabby manner. There is no excuse to behave like that to ANYONE.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 12:35
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved