Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 235

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where to buy paint - 1930s colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I need to find a good place from which to order paint. I've enquired at a couple local outlets and they seem to be having difficulty accessing databases and don't even sell acrylic lacquer. I have the PPG/Ditzler and Dupont codes obtained from autocolorlibrary and apparently its sister company, TCP Global, sells paint. Evidently one must call them to order. Has anyone dealt with these folks? Or possibly alternative dealers? Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/7/13 14:31
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Where to buy paint - 1930s colors
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Lots of states have banned lacquer, which is why most local jobbers don't stock it anymore, and also why major paint suppliers simply are not producing it anymore.

Generally, a gallon of base coat, with an activator and reducer, is going to run about $200.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 15:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not any help you you I'm sure but I have two gallons of, I believe, Mackinaw Gray which is a '50s color and would love to sell it but I have no idea how to ship something like that! They're sealed but old although I am told that as lacquer it should still be good.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Thanks gents. Fortunately, I live in unrestricted Montana - not a problem to ship lacquer here. The color I want was called Shirvan Green and I have the codes. Just need to know where to buy it.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 16:34
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Tri city.. Global.can mix it
And.
You can get acrylic lacquer.

They make it in san Diego .

But we can't buy it. Has to be out of state.

So your can get it.. Think a gallon Atleast 200..

Nitrocelulous you can get from guitar making / supply company's. Its clear. So you have to tint it.

I would go with tri city. /tcp global.

Posted on: 2023/7/14 0:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I used TCP products when I painted the '32. While they can't tell you who they get their paint from, their warehouse (at least when I bought it) was full of 55 gallon drums of PPG products. They were about 30% less than the local paint houses.

When I say TCP products I mean from sandpaper, primer to final paint (Living in California I did a 2 phase system). I was very happy with the end product. Would use them again.

Posted on: 2023/7/20 14:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
My experience with TCP global is that they primarily sell acrylic enamel.

While the formulas are readily available the tints are not - I recently painted my '37 Packard Blue and PPG had to substitute two of the tints that are no longer available.

Posted on: 2023/7/22 14:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
I did buy lacquer from TCP but it did not match. I understand the pigments used in the original formulas are not the same as pigments used today so a perfect match is all but impossible. However when I repainted my 32 901 I used base/clear and am very satisfied with the results. B/C is perfect for our cars as it retains it shine, can be matched and requires little maintenance. I am convinced that lacquer is overrated for originality. Maybe in a Pebble Beach car or some really significant coach built car but not a ride that is used regularly. I have had some old timers ask me where I got my lacquer job done. They are surprised to hear it is B/C. The way you buff it is the secret. I did not use a high speed and a wool pad. I scuffed with 1500 again with 3000 then buffed with a 6" DA on low speed. The high shine of B/C is achieved with a high speed because you heat up the clear coat so much that it turns out like liquid plastic. By using a DA on low speed you do not get that glass like shine and more resembles lacquer but it keeps that depth of shine even after 4 years on my car. It costs to much to paint a car and not have it last. My 2 cents.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 10:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved