Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 224

Packard Don, BigKev, Wat_Tyler, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1925 Packard information
Just popping in
Just popping in

Lil ol wine drinker me
See User information
G'Day from Western Australia,
My name is Vic and I have just bought the car of my dreams, a 1925 Packard 326 6 cylinder sedan and I need a bit of basic information. It had a set of motorcraft TT10 spark plugs in it that nead replacing but the cross referance the agent gave me is a load of rubbish, so what make and number of plugs do you blokes use in your 20s engines. Also what is the correct oil for the engine, my friends are telling me a straight 50 is right, but as it has a centrifugal oil filter I thought it may need a multigrade, and what is the right lube to put in the central chassis libricator.

I have only recently aquired this car and it is licenced and on the road. I have my "Al Capone" hat and am looking forward to taking it on a lot of runs. I am a former vintage Buick owner but nead a bit of basic help with this new to me high quality car.

Thanks blokes, its nice to make your aquaintance,

Vic Hayes,

Posted on: 2009/5/10 10:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1925 Packard information
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Vic, welcome aboard! There will soon be several answers to your questions, some from your own countrymen. I hope you
enjoy your Packard and this site.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My ancient AC spark plug catalog show two different thread size plugs used in Packard 1924 thru 1931:

For 7/8 NPT thread, AC 78
For 18 mm, AC 86.
Gap on either, 0.025 inch.

You'll have to work out the conversion #s to modern plugs once you ascertain the thread size.

As to oil, I'd be tempted to stick the viscosity that Packard recommended originally, at least as a starting point. There's often a temptation to use heavier oils on older engines, and while it may quiet things down a bit and perhaps increase pressure, the downside is that it's poorer at transfering heat which is an important consideration especially with babbitt poured bearings. Whatever oil you use, before you put any significant time on the engine, drop the oil pan and clean it and the pump intake screen at a minimum.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 14:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Lil ol wine drinker me wrote:......I have just bought the car of my dreams, a 1925 Packard 326 6 cylinder sedan ......

G'day Vic, or should I say neighbour, well neighbour in as much as 4,000km's makes us neighbours,
to PackardInfo. I'd think PACA and Forum member DavidM will respond to this post but to be sure I'll contact him so he doesn't miss it. David has a '22 126 and 2 '29's and has a wealth of experience with early Packards. He is also a former Buick owner so you also have that in common. Speaking of PACA(Packard Automobile Club of Australia), are you a member? If not, David can also fix that up as he's PACA's Membership Secretary! A big upside to being a PACA member in 2010 will be that the 14th Packard National Rally is being held in South Australia centered on Kangaroo Islandhttp://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/ immediately after and encompassing the Bay to Birdwood Run.http://www.baytobirdwood.com.au/ A great opportunity to meet and mingle with other Packards and their owners "down-under".

Now, after all that buttering up, can I ask you to include your '25 in the Owner Registry on the Site together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

And a little something extrahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzeR1pJIZBA&NR=1

Posted on: 2009/5/10 15:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
G/Day Vic,
Congratulations on obtaining the Packard 326 which should be higher geared than the Buick so it should run a little easier on tour.
I am not sure that I can live up to Mal's beat up, I have a 1922/ 126 that I have had for about 35 years and 2 1929/ 633's.
I use 7/8" to 14mm spark plug adapters in all of my cars so that I can buy the plugs at any local parts supplier. I know these are still available but will need to do some research to find the source. I am currently using 14mm "Champion N12YC" plugs in all of my cars and they work well.

I use Penrite oils in my cars, Penrite "Shelsey Medium" is the recommendation for the 633 which would be closest to your 326 however I suggest you contact them, they are in Melbourne or check their web site. I would think that the viscosity of SAE 50 SAE would be too high. Also I agree with Owen-Dyneto, I would drop the sump (speaking OZ) and do a thorough clean.

Many years ago I obtained information from Bijur when they could still supply parts for our Packards and they advised that we should use SAE 40-50 non-detergent oil in the chassis lubricator. For very cold climates they recommended SAE 30.

If you let have an e-mail address I will send you a membership form for the Packard Club of Australia. (membership is compulsory for all OZ Packard owners, especially if they have Packards of the 20's!!!)

Look forward to meeting you at Kangaroo Island in 2010, in your "Al Capone" gear.

David - Sydney

Posted on: 2009/5/10 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Several here from oz, Vic! Welcome aboard

Of course we want pics!!

Posted on: 2009/5/10 21:13
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Good Morning from Texas...
Vic, I am the PAC Roster Keeper for the 326 series.
<P>
I would certainly appreciate the following information.
<P>
Serial number from data plate (Inside firewall above steering column)............
<P>
engine #..........
<P>
frame number (stamped on from near steering box)
<P>
If you have a sedan, there should be a plate on the floor under the carpet,near right rear door. This would have the body style number and production.
<P>
There might also be a number stamped into the wood.
<P>
P.S. attached is a pic of my 'twin-sixes'....actually one is an early 326 sedan and the other is a late 326 sedan.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.13 KB)
441_4a081804496ae.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.14 KB)
441_4a08da765dac1.jpg 961X706 px

Posted on: 2009/5/11 7:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Vic Hayes: Send me your mailing address, and I will photocopy some Packard Six technical info for you. Jim Pearsall.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lil ol wine drinker me
See User information
Hi,
Sorry I don't know your name and for the delay on replying to your request on the information on my 1925 326 sedan.
Serial number is 49987
The engine number is 50352
The frame number is 2219231
Photos of your cars are very nice.
Regards
Vic Hayes.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 3:43
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lil ol wine drinker me
See User information
Hi Jim,
My email address is vichayes@westnet.com.au
Regards
Vic Hayes

Posted on: 2009/6/14 3:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved