Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 152

Don B, jgrohn, Packard Don, Ernie Vitucci, Jack Vines, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Rarest Car Options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Pete '56 wrote:
On a side note, speaking of rare options, has any seen a '55 or '56 with a rear defroster installed?

I don't believe a rear defroster was an option nor an accessory in the V8 models.

How did it even work in the other cars? Plumbed into the coolant system?

Posted on: 3/25 16:01
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I one installation I've seen that comes immediately to mind was on a 1951 Patrician. I'm sure I posted pix of it on thus site at the time.

Posted on: 3/25 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Rear defroster listed in accessories booklet for 1956 also in 1954 and 1955 booklet. which is listed on our site for 1956. Had similar part on a few Buicks I have owned
They consisted of a fan motor which directed air on to the rear window. They worked not as well as heated glass which came out later

Posted on: 3/25 17:04
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have a rear defroster for my 54. I haven't installed it, but it a formed piece of tar paper like housing that has an electric coil and a fan motor. So when you give it power the fan turns on and the coil heats up. Like a hair dryer on low speed. The housing mounts under the package tray, and the is a metal grille mounts on top. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Posted on: 3/25 17:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Both housings are the same but the one of the left has no heater coil, the one on the right does. I think the left one is 55/56 and the on the right is a 51-54.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/25 17:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Here’s one with aftermarket speakers since removed. The option that seems more odd to me on a '50s car is a rear window wiper! I have an NOS one but haven't been able to make myself install it on my 1954 Patrician.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/25 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall there is a small wire resistance type heating element mounted on the black enclosure positioned so that it sticks up in the airflow. As acolds said, it takes a long time to get much heated air up on the glass. Probably good for a fogged up window and maybe some light frost but I wonder how effective or how large an area it would clear on a glass with a thick coating of ice.

Posted on: 3/25 21:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
As I recall there is a small wire resistance type heating element mounted on the black enclosure positioned so that it sticks up in the airflow. As acolds said, it takes a long time to get much heated air up on the glass. Probably good for a fogged up window and maybe some light frost but I wonder how effective or how large an area it would clear on a glass with a thick coating of ice.

I can't speak for the Packard unit but my 1965 Imperial LeBaron's rear defroster worked quite well and had no heating element. I later replaced it with a factory rear A/C unit which not only does the same job but also uses the same dash control switch labeled Rear Air for either option.

Posted on: 3/25 22:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
In 1965, Rambler built a total of 20 Ambassador station wagons with the console-shifted automatic transmission with bucket seats. It was considered a sporty option and not something for a station wagon, but 20 were ordered.

Only 1 of those 20 had manual steering and manual brakes.

That 1 car also had a headrest on the passenger's seat only and not the drivers seat, because they were separate options and the husband and wife who ordered the car couldn't agree.

That husband and wife were my grandparents, and my family still owns the car.

--------------------------------------

I also own a 1977 AMC Hornet that was ordered by the biggest idiot in Topeka, Kansas. Normally, you ordered the "air conditioning package" that included A/C, power steering, and tinted glass. However, each of those items could technically be ordered as separate options. Whoever ordered my car ordered it with A/C and power steering separately and did not order tinted glass. It has regular old clear as crystal glass all-around, which was the dumbest thing ever in sunny hot Kansas. They ended up paying $5 more by doing this than if they had just ordered the package.

Posted on: 4/2 3:57
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved