Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

DM37, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard takes a swim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I can back up both my cars under power with the parking brake on, but I can't get either to move forward under power with it on.

Very much too bad. Assuming he did set the emergency brake, maybe he needs to follow the procedure Ross suggests when adjusting his brakes. I think the one on Amelia island was an earlier model. Either it rolled off a trailer or was parked on an incline but it did find a lake.

As to being able to move with emergency brake on in reverse, that describes perfectly the joys of the self energizing Bendix brake system. One of the selling points Packard mentioned is forward rotation causes the primary shoe to rotate slightly pushing the secondary hard against the anchor and causing it to wedge against the drum more tightly thus increasing braking force. You would think it would work in the opposite direction with the primary shoe against the anchor and wedging the drum but I can assure you it does not.

Let me just say you have not had excitement in your life until you are riding in a car with a BTV and engine stalls while you are out for a leisurely drive going up a mountain road. A friend was driving and when the engine quit and car started rolling back he was pushing with all his might -- literally standing on the pedal and he was not a small man. The car barely slowed down as it rolled backwards. If there had not been a mountain on one side he could steer into I have no doubts we would have quickly seen the bottom of a canyon up close.

Posted on: 4/11 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I never thought of taking pictures as a hazardous activity, but a number of people have made the news by reason of falling into the Grand Canyon, or into a hot spring, or off a cliff, or down a waterfall when taking pictures. Others have been mauled by large animals they were attempting to photograph.

Posted on: 4/11 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Water and vehicles don't mix. I'd be vary wary of the wiring and anything you can't see or take for granted, as OK, when this happens. Recall capillary action. They generally total 'flood cars', if that's any indication of the cost - don't take it lightly.
There's always someone shady trying to pass them off, too. Beware of that P for sale soon! One way to tell is take the door panel off and look at the back for water damage/marks.

All for the vanity of a few pix? Pick a shady flat spot next time - you say? Not necessarily!
I was fishn competition in NY state. After 4 AM, pulled into a paved gas station lot (dry land) to pick up my partner for the day. There was just a slight down slope to shed water away from the building and was aimed for the exit. I shut the truck off, left in gear, put the E-brake on(stick), and went into the boat to get ready. Some guy arrives unexpectedly, with all that room, picks to pull up in front of and in line with me, maybe 50-75 foot away. For lack of a better explanation, the gravity between the two vehicles and me wiggling in the boat started my truck to roll. They eventually recalled those E-brakes. I replaced 3 mechanisms before they straightened them out. The guy had opened his hatchback and was standing there. I yelled and jumped down and before I could get in and stop it, we collided. Not much brake travel without it running and one leg out on the ground while moving. Explain that to your insurance man! I leave it running with the door open at all time at or near launch since. I'm automatic now.
I witnessed one while friend went to get trailer, I waited on the lake. Someone forgot to tether his rather sizeble runabout to the trailer on a very steep ramp. I think it was one of those easy-launch types with the rollers, not bunks. He pulled up, got it out of the water, but the boat slid off as he continued up the ramp and landed high and dry on the concrete. Talk about an expensive day...
There's an internet video of a guy launching his bass boat behind a Class A motorhome($400K?). I have it on the other computer. His dog was left inside. He got out to launch and the motorhome and boat rolls back and almost completely submerge. Apparently did something wrong, but blamed his dog! How low will humans go?
I had to help a guy one day, the water was low and he rolled in deep to float off and his trailer wheels went off the end of ramp in the "wash" hole and his pick up wasn't powerful enuff, tires were in water, to pull it out. But I didn't arrive until he was completely soaked, exhausted, and cold from trying to push it. One reason, I towed w/ a diesel 4x4 while living on the big river. Snow was second.
Same ramp, an older gent (now my age) launched with his rear open, so he could see better, missed his stop, panicked, hit the gas(in R) and went in over the bumper and got a wave of water inside his suburban. He didn't fish that day. Never saw him again.

Posted on: 4/11 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The car at Amelia Island was a Packard '38 Super Eight Convertible Sedan I believe. From a thread on the AACA Forum West Peterson said it had been resurrected within a year of it's involuntry swim.

Posted on: 4/11 16:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Let me just say you have not had excitement in your life until you are riding in a car with a BTV and engine stalls while you are out for a leisurely drive going up a mountain road. A friend was driving and when the engine quit and car started rolling back he was pushing with all his might -- literally standing on the pedal and he was not a small man. The car barely slowed down as it rolled backwards. If there had not been a mountain on one side he could steer into I have no doubts we would have quickly seen the bottom of a canyon up close.

I can at least say firsthand that pretty much standing on the BTV pedal when rolling a car off a trailer via winch has no noticeable effect.

Posted on: 4/11 17:26
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Quote:

HH56 wrote:

I can at least say firsthand that pretty much standing on the BTV pedal when rolling a car of a trailer via winch has no noticeable effect.

Maybe I'm glad the previous owner swapped out my BTV brakes for some dual master manual brakes. I've never tried stopping while going backwards down a hill though. Also never tried to reverse with the parking brake on. I'm going to have to try that today.

Posted on: 4/11 18:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved