Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 7-45 Mystery Leak?
Just popping in
Just popping in

David Billett
See User information
What might be the source of this stain just under the valve covers? It was worse before I wiped it off - some crungey yellow-green stuff. It wasn't there before I took my Packard out for about an hour-long drive, the first in a while.

I took the 1930 out for the first time since I had the radiator rebuilt during the pandemic. The radiator rebuild and several surgeries (on me) have kept me from driving the Packard for the last several years, but I've been starting it and running it in place at least once a month.

It started like a champ and ran like it just came out of the factory! When I got back after the run I noticed that spot of gunky stuff. My first thought was coolant and...oil? Am I going to need new valve cover gaskets?

1930 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton. Engine rebuilt in 1958-59 by my dad, maybe 20K miles on it since. Unfortunately my dad passed before I got to ask him so many questions about the car, but thanks to the Packard clubs and forums like this I'm keeping it alive and healthy.

Attach file:

jpg  1930 7-45.jpg (367.92 KB)
2920_661b2dcc3ac03.jpg 1227X920 px

Posted on: 4/13 20:14
1930 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 7-45 Mystery Leak?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,
Slightly but I noticed that you'd previously posted under the Forum Name of Phaeton and, when so, you'd included your '30 745 Deluxe Eight Sport Phaeton in the Registry.

Posted on: 4/13 22:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
The colour and texture of the leak looks like the 'gunk' that builds up around battery terminals?!! I know that this is not the case as it is way out of place for that, but any engine fluids like coolant may have a similar colour but not texture, and oil would be black, brown, or gold? I just cannot get around the similarity. Sorry I cannot help more.
Stumped,
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  battery gunk.jpg (26.12 KB)
225215_661bf59705de5.jpg 446X380 px

Posted on: 4/14 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Is the cover aluminum? Perhaps it has a crack in it.

Posted on: 4/14 12:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On one of the spare Jag cylinder heads I had, there was corrosion like that. It was aluminum. The head was stored in a basement on concrete that regularly got wet.

Posted on: 4/14 12:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Looks like galvanic corrosion. If you look closely it appears to be around the steel pan bolts and aluminum crankcase threads.

Galvanic corrosion is typically caused when two dissimilar metals are improperly coupled together in a corrosive environment.

Galvanic corrosion is caused by an electrochemical reaction between different classifications of metals rubbing against each other in wet or grimy conditions. This type of corrosion commonly occurs between aluminum and cast iron; copper and steel; and stainless steel and aluminum.

Attach file:

jpg  Galvanic Corrosion Examples.jpg (157.38 KB)
1584_661c2bad716d9.jpg 887X685 px

Posted on: 4/14 14:17
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
I agree with 32model 901. It does look like galvanic corrosion. I don't think it is from a leak. I would guess it is a result of something that got on the aluminum some time ago. I would wash it off well and just keep an eye on it. Once you have cleaned the area, it probably will not occur again.

Posted on: 4/16 10:16
Phil
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved