Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 102

Andrew Sinclair, TxGoat, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Help identifying poster
Just popping in
Just popping in

Stefanie
See User information
Hi,
I am asking for help identifying this poster. The best guess I could come up with so far is that it may be a 1937 car dealer poster. In some of that years print ads a similar Native American figure was used, but I could not find this poster anywhere else on line. I have tried reverse Google imaging searching already.
Thanks for your help.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/28 11:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Help identifying poster
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The painting style look a little more rustic then the style of illustrations that Packard used in their normal magazine advertising. Possible it was done by or for some owner of that car.

Posted on: 4/28 13:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...Car looks like late 20's or 30/31. Ernie in Arizona. Might have been for an add in the Saturday Evening Post or some such high end magazine of the time.

Posted on: 4/28 15:38
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

58survivor
See User information
Here's an answer from Chat GPT after prompting it with a detailed description of the painting/poster (of course it could be something entirely different):

Source Chat GPT

Based on your detailed description, it seems like the artwork you're referring to is "Smooth and Silent" by Maxfield Parrish, not Edward Hopper. Maxfield Parrish was an American painter and illustrator known for his dreamlike and fantastical landscapes, often featuring vivid colors and imaginative scenes.

"Smooth and Silent" fits the description you provided: it features a late 1920s or early 1930s Packard automobile driving along a stream, with an American Indian rowing in a canoe alongside it. There are four passengers in the car, with two males in the front and two females in the back. The scene includes a stream and an Indian in the foreground, the car on a road in the center, and a valley with mountainous vistas in the background. An Indian village with two tepees and three grazing horses is depicted beyond the Packard in a valley before the mountains.

Maxfield Parrish's style often included elements of fantasy and romanticism, and "Smooth and Silent" captures this with its idyllic and nostalgic portrayal of American life and landscape.

If you're looking for more information or want to confirm the details, you may want to search for images or references to "Smooth and Silent" by Maxfield Parrish.

Posted on: 4/28 16:54
Joe L
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Stefanie, welcome at PackardInfo.com!

Quote:
The painting style look a little more rustic then the style of illustrations that Packard used in their normal magazine advertising...

Quote:
...Car looks like late 20's or 30/31. Ernie in Arizona. Might have been for an add in the Saturday Evening Post or some such high end magazine of the time...

Yes, Kevin (Bigkev) and Ernie in Arizone (Ernie Vitucci) are right and Joe (58survivor) probably nailed it. Unusual but at least the Packard of the late 1920s is recognizable. The Packard Motor Car Company's marketing department looked for similes to illustrate the unsurpassed smoothness of Packard engines as part of a "Smooth & Silence" campaign. -> Velvety tiger paws or a barely perceptible indigenous man observing the scene from behind cover seemed to be credible analogies.
The 1927 Saturday Evening Post newspaper ad shown below leads me to believe that a promotional art is based on the painting (, or that the painting is based on a promotional art).

Attach file:

jpeg  Art Print_ Native Packard, 18x12in_.jpeg (30.26 KB)
757_662eca83df1e8.jpeg 325X488 px

Posted on: 4/28 17:15
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Stefanie
See User information
It is not a painting, nothing that an individual owner could have had commissioned. Is a vintage/antique print. Please excuse the quality of my photo. The print is fine, well done and high quality.

Posted on: 4/28 17:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Stefanie
See User information
Thanks, but nothing comes up when I search for "Smooth and Silent" by Maxfield Parrish.

By the Way, the visible size of the print is over 14" x 12". It is very well framed and so far I did not dare to rip the framing apart.

Posted on: 4/28 17:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Stefanie
See User information
My camera is not very good under low light conditions. Here is the best photo of the car I could get.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN2690.JPG (813.16 KB)
226831_662ed70a12387.jpg 2321X1174 px

Posted on: 4/28 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
We have several Maxfield Parrish pictured and typically his releases were in lithographs, gicees or similar rather than originals. That said, I did not know that he every did any Packards but I am also far from being an expert of his work.

As an aside, we also have a coupe large Howard Cleworth prints and my partner knew him from San Francisco of the ‘70s although I never met him until a few years ago at Pebble Beach. The first one, a closeup of a 1942 DeSoto’s grille and hidden headlights, was a gift by a well-known politician of the day and the other, a pink 1959 Cadillac tail fin, I bought on eBay from the Ronald MacDonald House.

Posted on: 4/28 18:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Nothing to add concerning the identity of the poster itself, way out of my area of understanding. Instead I question the identity of the car, is it a Packard?
For one, I don't think Packard made a two door sedan in that time period.
For another, it doesn't appear to have red hexagon hubcaps.
Lastly, the upper radiator shell shape and the bonnet(hood) don't appear to be the right shape.
Apologies in advance if it is a Packard. My Packard recognition skills need work.

Posted on: 4/28 22:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved