Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
21 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 18

custo eight, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Convert '37 115C to straight eight?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
Hello, what are your thoughts on a straight eight for my 37 115C business coupe, what are the mods. necessary to do this? Thanks, Richard

Posted on: 2010/2/3 12:39
 Top  Print   

Convert '37 115C to straight eight?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
37buscoupe wrote: Hello, what are your thoughts on a straight eight for my 37 115C business coupe, what are the mods. necessary to do this? Thanks, Richard
G'day Richard,
to PackardInfo. I'd think this would be quite a job although the trans should bolt straight onto the bellhousing. Reason being the 120 eights are a longer engine and that length was built into the 120's frame and body, would be a fair bit of modification to squeeze it in Probably better off to rebuild your 6 cylinder and save a lot of hassles.

And a request, could you please include your '37 115C Business Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

And I strongly suggest, Kev our Webmaster, move your post and mine into a separate thread titled something like "Convert '37 115C to straight eight?" or something similar. Because these posts bear no resemblence whatsoever to the topic they are located in.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 21:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Convert '37 115C to straight eight?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed.....done.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 0:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Ain't Gonna happen. There are other options, for sure, V-8 or 6cyl Jag motor, but Straight 8... no.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Agree with David, If you want a 120, buy one, don't screw up the 115C. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2010/2/5 8:36
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
Thank you Peter , I dont want a 120.I want my 115C bus coupe with 200 hp without going the full hot rod route. I am interested to know what work it would be. I had my previous 115 C bus. coupe for twenty years with stock six. Just curious. Richard

Posted on: 2010/2/5 12:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am under the impression that the extra length for the 8 was ahead of the cowl. If so, would think that anything to accommodate the extra would be a real butcher job to frame or cowl or both and new front end sheet metal at the least would be needed.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 12:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you want 200hp then you only real Packard option would be a V8 motor from a 55/56. Otherwise the only Straight Eight with that horsepower would be '54 359 (212hp). But as others have said that wont fit without some serious surgery.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 12:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
Thanks, I have thought about a packard eight, how much alteration do you think that would involve? Richard

Posted on: 2010/2/5 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'm gonna say this again, since everyone seems to agree with me for once. (And where the heck it Eric to disagree - as he is attempting to doing just this into a 115c frame...)
As far as putting a straight 8, it aint gonna happen. Picture the bellhousing location staying the same (clutch geometry etc, that you must maintain) Now picture the length to the front where the engine mounts. Now add 9 inches. See my point? Where you gonna mount the front of the engine - cantilever out past the front frame? And a radiator? the 288/327 block is even longer than a 282 block, so forget that idea.
Now a 3.8/4.2 Jag engine, we can talk about that. I've seen it done. DOHC/triple carbs...it don't get much sexier than that.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 16:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved