Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 99

Roadster, Packard Don, Bob J, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard in Top Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
This last weekend it was the 2010 Detroit Autorama that took place. At this show the famous Ridler Award is given out to the top street rod at the event.

One of the cars that finished in the final top eight was a 1934 Packard. The car is owned by Francis J. Roxas. The body is all metal built by Scott & David Knight. The motor is no Chevy mouse motor. Powering the Packard is a 500 cid fuel injected Packard V12 engine. It was stated that they used an 1106 chassis.

See Hiboy24 what they did with that Packard V12 engine.

Firedome I hope you enjoy the pictures I am posting.

To me this one dam nice looking Packard with a few modern touches.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (87.80 KB)
105_4b8c55a153007.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (36.28 KB)
105_4b8c55d45dc05.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (36.83 KB)
105_4b8c56011d960.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (107.50 KB)
105_4b8c5644e035f.jpg 1024X682 px

Posted on: 2010/3/1 19:02
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard in Top Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
You know, I am really not the kind of person that would set out to build a highly customized antique automobile, especially not likely to ever do a full classic, but I have to say that this is incredibly interesting! As you say, it sure beats the garden variety SBC powered (no offense to the SBC, I have one in an appropriate brand X car) custom. I am especially intrigued by the idea of fuel injection.

If this was just a conglomerate of parts brought together to create a car, then cool! If it were a complete restorable car that could have been saved, then it would personally sadden me.

I don't knock anyone with this kind of skill and talent. It would be neat to see the owner with more info. here on the site. Heck, Mal could even invite him to register the car in the owner registry!

Thanks very much for posting John,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/1 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Fran Roxas is a noted Chicago area restorer who has won many awards for his work with the classics (Packards, Dusenbergs, etc). I didn't know he had branched off into the customs. Is he the owner or the architect?

Posted on: 2010/3/1 21:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2010/3/1 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I think I like the Packard better, Biased I guess!

Posted on: 2010/3/1 23:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Very well done, and nice to see the (or an) original engine was used. I also would like to know how the fuel injection was done.

That Ford was Ok but (to me at least) nothing special.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 1:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I don't think the Packard is fuel injected. It looks, to me, to have a triple carburetor set-up. They could be throttle bodies, but probably not. Either way, it is a beautiful automobile.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/3/2 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Roxas has considerable acclaim for his authentic reproduction bodies, especially for the 1934 LeBaron series - I'm told it's nearly impossible to distinguish his from the originals. Yet it seems a shame if he in fact used an original 1106 chassis as I believe less than a dozen (perhaps only 8 or 9?) were manufactured for the LeBaron Speedster runabout (style #275) and the non-catalogued coupe (in lower photo, taken at the Bob Bahre collection). It will be interesting to see what West Peterson has to say.

If I remember correctly, the 1106 chassis was extremely unique, really a Super Eight chassis (1103, 135 inch wb) modified as necessary to accept the Twelve motor. I seem to also remember than the wheels used on the 1106 were actually Eight/Super Eight wheels (without the rolled rim and threaded nipple spokes). West will correct me if my memory is wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.25 KB)
177_4b8d414ca7b54.jpg 964X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/3/2 11:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The AACA Packard Forum has this post.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 14:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Hands down its one of the best looking Packard based hotrods I've seen. But I just can't be a fan of the headlights or the June bug paint. Yuck. The twin six is beautiful though. I tried to zoom in on the carbs, Rochesters I think, but they distort due to the Chrome. Nice ride.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 17:02
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved