Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What is this Ball Joint from tranny on '39 110 and why is it disconnected?
Just popping in
Just popping in

whose2know
See User information
Hello,
First post here. One of many future ones I suppose.

I bought a '39 six last fall and have enjoyed driving it with the kids. In the process of changing the oil, I noticed a ball joint that seems to be disconnected. I'm a bit of a novice here, so please don't flame my ignorance. I can move the alternator, change fluids and filters, put a grease gun on a nipple, and things of that sort.

Can anyone answer what the ball joint is for...why it might be disconnected from the socket below, and what to do to fix it? Also, what danger it poses driving without it attached? This is the first time that I've been underneath the car, so I don't know how long it has been driven with it disconnected.

See pic below:

Attach file:

jpg  (65.47 KB)
1775_4bc67d155e6c4.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (56.48 KB)
1775_4bc67d2440021.jpg 373X336 px

Posted on: 2010/4/14 21:43
 Top  Print   

Re: What is this Ball Joint from tranny on '39 110 and why is it disconnected?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's just a stabilizer link. It's often bent, broken or missing and I think that, in and of itself, says it has a function to perform. It's been discussed before at some length on this site and perhaps someone can locate and post a link to that. If it were my car I'd want to fix it, yet I wouldn't be reluctant to use the car in the meantime.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

Posted on: 2010/4/14 22:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi whose2know,

As O_D said, it is a lateral engine stabilizer. And also as O_D said, they are all bent, broken and gone. You are very fortunate to have your still. The long and short of it is the cup is rubber lined. As it degrades the ball falls free. The later models went to angle brackets a rod and rubber flat washers sandwiching the angle brackets on each end.

Your options are to A. convert to the latter, and apparently better design (I did and it seems to be working well) or B. to call Steele Rubberhttp://www.steelerubber.com/ and see if they will recondition your core.

You will likely gain further info. by following the link HH56 provided.

I can promise you there are good people here who understand you are doing your best with your car and trying diligently to keep another Packard on the road. I don't think anyone will flame on you. Please feel welcome here and free to ask anything you need.

A fellow from down under will be along soon to invite you to use the registry. Just another part of the multifaceted Packard Info. welcome!

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/14 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if a room temperature urethane such as Flexanehttp://www.markingpendepot.com/browseproducts/Devcon-Flexane-94-Liquid.HTML could be used to repair them. It is available from many suppliers, comes liquid or putty, in various hardness ratings, and maybe could be poured around ball if suspended properly. I used the stuff to make new body mount bushings and thinking it might be an option on these rather than sending off.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 23:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome whose2know, to a very good group of Packard owners I'm Glad you have a running Packard and here you will learn how to remedy the various problems you run into with an old vehicle. We're a sociable lot but have a keen sense of humor. Enjoy your ride!

Posted on: 2010/4/14 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Wonder if a room temperature urethane such as Flexanehttp://www.markingpendepot.com/browseproducts/Devcon-Flexane-94-Liquid.HTML could be used to repair them. It is available from many suppliers, comes liquid or putty, in various hardness ratings, and maybe could be poured around ball if suspended properly. I used the stuff to make new body mount bushings and thinking it might be an option on these rather than sending off.

That's not a bad idea HH56! I think urethane would be a very good material. I would really like to hear how this works out if someone tries's it.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/14 23:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is this the "Engine Snubber" thingy that Mal has been searching for?

Posted on: 2010/4/15 0:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Yes

Posted on: 2010/4/15 0:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
39super8 wrote:......A fellow from down under will be along soon to invite you to use the registry. Just another part of the multifaceted Packard Info. welcome!.......
Jim,

No need for me to nudge Scott to include his '39 in the Packard Owner's Registry because he's already done that. In fact he was so keen he did it twice and even though I love Packards in the Registry two the same was one too much so one had to go. But it does give me a chance to officially welcome Scott to PackardInfo, so
Scott!

Posted on: 2010/4/15 5:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved