Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 116

CartRich, Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

The Packard Plant in the news
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This is a sorry story. There must be some memorabilia to retrieve if and before Detroit is allowed to demolish it.
http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Detroit-Wants-Old-Packard-Plant-Torn-Down-070910.aspx

No Michigan Region of either Packard club.

At least the front doors and portico should be preserved.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:05
 Top  Print 

Re: The Packard Plant in the news
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you talking about the entrance (door and facade) to the executive building? If so it has already removed and was sold at auction last year. Also the smaller side door was sold also.

(Me in front of the plant about 2 years ago. If you look closely I am wearing my PackardInfo.com T-Shirt!)

Attach file:

jpg  (130.95 KB)
1_4c379efe42c6f.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Quote:

Joe Santana wrote:
This is a sorry story. There must be some memorabilia to retrieve if and before Detroit is allowed to demolish it.
http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Detroit-Wants-Old-Packard-Plant-Torn-Down-070910.aspx

No Michigan Region of either Packard club.

At least the front doors and portico should be preserved.

Motor City Packards is a very active region of PAC. Many items have been rescued/purchased and are or will be on display at America's Packard Museum, The Packard Proving Ground and The Packard Musuem.

Mr. Pushbutton here is our ace reporter on what's going on in Motown. I'm sure he'll keep us informed.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Very interesting, the very city that tried to sieze the property from the owner, then eveicted all of the tenants--removing all sourcce of income from the owner, who worked with a shady real estate speculator (whose son owned the demolition company that was poised to take the building down) then kept the owner out, and allowed the beginning 8 years of vandalisim and neglect now is getting up in arms now that "the owner claimed ownership".
The city needs to pay for the demolition, and it can't happen too soon. It's a lawless place where scrappers work every day, and there is a good-sized fire every week, the DFD won't go in anymore, they will shoot water at it from a safe distance, that's all.
File this one under "posturing from city hall".

Posted on: 2010/7/9 23:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Great picture Kev! Amazing how long the plant remained intact and now so rapidly disintegrating. Think of how great a memory this picture will make years from now.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/9 23:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

It's beyond time the body has a decent burial.

Ironies abound. The 20 million needed to tear it down might have saved Studebaker Packard in 1956. The money was around , but no one wanted to spend it. The money is not around now, but now it has to be spent

The argument is about possession of graffiti, which is about an un Packard like pursuit as you can find.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/7/9 23:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Sound to me if the City of Detroit is getting what it deserves for its seizing then mismanaging the property. Rather than have a tax revenue producing entity for the last decade, they've succeeded in turning it from that into a massive, expensive liability.

What an ironic, sad, shameful end for a facility in which was produced the most iconic, legendary and revered marque during the auto industry's golden era.

To know what the Packard plant was in it's halcyon days contrasted to it's current state is understand what has happened to the auto industry in general.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/7/10 9:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the more reason to turn our support, financial and other, to the Packard Proving Grounds, the only remaining corporate property likely to stay in hobby hands.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 9:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is what the plant and my Clipper Super looked like in 2003. The Clipper looks the same, the plant has not done as well. Thanks Dwight.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (105.41 KB)
565_4c392caf9bc25.jpg 1164X786 px

jpg  (97.17 KB)
565_4c392cc010c52.jpg 1129X727 px

jpg  (77.97 KB)
565_4c392cd4da50b.jpg 1117X745 px

Posted on: 2010/7/10 21:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for sharing these photos of your car and the plant. i am now using the one next the train tracks on my windows background....that was a good one! ;0) THANKS!!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/7/10 22:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved