Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Looking at a 1937 Packard Coupe
Just popping in
Just popping in

caparos
See User information
Hello all,

I'm new here. I've always admired Packards and I'm considering picking one up.

The car in question is a 1937 coupe. Not sure about the model number or any of that, I'm a Buick guy.

Seller says it has a Buick nail head motor with an auto trans. Not currently running. The dash looks like it's from a different car. No seats or guages. Are the floor boards wooden? He says the wood needs replaced.

What could you guys say this is worth? I really have no idea.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/14 16:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking at a 1937 Packard Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It is as you say a 1937 Packard Business Coupe also know as a 115C model 1088. These cars came with a 237 cu. in. in-line L-head 6-cylinder engine making all of 100 b.h.p. The transmission was a manual shift 3-speed with a cane or floor shift. It was Packard's lowest priced offering in 1937. These are attractive cars and when done correctly are nice driving, but only for two people (maybe three if you are all a friendly group). I'll let others comment on its worth, but it will be expensive if you want to accurately restore it to stock condition. The mechanicals are the easy part, body and trim can be challenging.

(o{I}o)

Additional comment: These first Junior Packards (1935 through 1937) have a lot of wood body framing. If the wood is good - good - if the wood is bad - bad. The 1938 Junior cars went to an all steel body.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 16:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Are your intentions restoration or just a kool car? If I were in the hunt that car would keep it's nailhead, get rear fender skirts, get dropped 2-3", and a list of other body mods too numerous to mention. It's a 115 so it is pretty much the lower end of what a Packard's all about. Even so, a restored 115 is also a true Packard in feel, quality, driving, and everything else us "lifers" have come to love about em. Value? Hard to say as the standard answer is what is it worth to you. I personally wouldn't pay over $2000 but I'm assuming the worst case in deterioration that can't be seen in the pics. Still, that would be a really bichin kustom "taildragger", doncha think?

Posted on: 2010/12/16 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Most of the pre-war Packards value are usually in their authenticity, because usually only a Packard afficiando would pay the price they're worth and they only want them when they're done "right". Also, the reason i love my Packard is because it's roomy and comfortable. This might not fit that description

I appreciate this car as a hot rod though, and always found the Buick nailhead a neat motor. However, in hot rodding circles it won't garner that much value either because it's not a Chevy or a ford, and even though we love the Packard front end, most in the hot rodding arena do not. (Unless it's that gorgeous shovelnose!)

This car is worth something to someone who likes Packards but doesn't mind changing things around rather than keeping it authentic. Turbopackman isn't around any more, and there's like 3 more of us that wouldn't mind that kind of car.

So if you're buying it to flip to a Packard enthusiast or restore as an original Packard, you'll likely lose money on the deal.

If you're buying to fix up and flip to a hot rodder, you'll likely lose money on the deal or no one will want it because it's not from the big three.

If you're looking to buy it because it's a neat old car and you want to finish and keep it, well then, it's a good candidate to have some fun with! If you think it'll be worth a ton when it's all finished, you'll likely be in the hole, ESPECIALLY for the next few years until the economy is back to people spending recklessly

With all that considered, this is worth what you're looking to spend to put into a project car and hope that's enough for the seller. But it's a Packard, so likely someone is asking a ton of cash for it because they saw the woody wagon on eBay for $109,000 awhile back or a 30's car all finished for $50,000. Without more cash in it than you'll get out, this won't be one of those cars.

I'm in the area with Highlander, if i drove by and saw a fair price tag of around 2000-2500 then i might stop and ask questions. That's assuming that this car has a title also. It'd really be a car nut impulse buy more than something i'd look at for full restoration. Cheaper to go get one already done and loved by a Packard fan

Do you mind us asking what the owner wants for it? It's easier to say "that sounds fair" or "that's nuts" than to come up with a number from nowhere based on internet pics.

EDIT: If that's the one from Canada they want 6K for, no thanks. Chunk of cash, been modified a bit, lower value car, AND i gotta do a bunch of stuff to get it into the USA.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 16:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day caparos,

Pity that '37 115 Coupe wasn't on this side of the Pacific as it would be worth considerably more here.
That aside, to PackardInfo and please keep us updated if you buy the car whether you keep it as a rod or restore it.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 21:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Another person signing up an account just to get a shoot from the hip appraisal, never to return.

We should have said it was worth 20K as it sits just to see if he got it and put it up for sale here for 19k :)

Posted on: 2010/12/19 10:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
All i can say oh my God! you have a treasure on your hands, If I had seen this just a year ago, nothing would of stopped me from trying to buy it. I bought a 37 pac bus coupe and have it all in pieces doing a frame off 'resto' with a 65 caddy 429 motor. You have my dream find. Restore it just as it is, keep the nail head DONT CHANGE A THING. It is an incredible rare rod just the way it is. Thanks, now I will never sleep. Richard Lechner

Posted on: 2010/12/30 7:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
LOL Richard!

It is a sweet car, but i doubt it's worth the 6k the buyer is asking, except to someone who loves that exact car done up as a street rod.

The really sucky part is the paperwork getting it from canada with no title and getting it registered here.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 9:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
With all due respect, 80 % of rods have the small block chevy, it is much more desirable with the nail head, think of hot rod coupes, not only is it a Packard but it is powered by a nailhead come on how cool is that!!. I have the exact car and I have just put in a 65 caddy 429, I did this just for the 'road less traveled' I searched for a 37 115C for years that was a hotrod, couldnt find one, so I bought a barn find original. I believe that car is worth 6 to 10 k to someone, call me crazy but the 37 115C business coupe is the rod i have dreamed of for many years. Thanks for listening to me. Rich

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I thot a 'NailHead" is a streight 8 Buick engine. No??? That engine looks more like some kind of a 6 cylinder engine. It's kind of short for an 8.

EDIT: Never mind. I see now it's a V8. Duh!

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved