Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 22 Series Fuel Delivery Issues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
JW, it was a 21st engine. I happened on that photo after the 48 parts manual showed the other setup. What is rattling the remaining brain cell is the factory difference in routing between a 356 and 327 & just trying to understand why. Carb & pump are in the same place.

Not a big deal for sure, but I would think that the front tube might have a slight advantage for keeping fuel cooler away from manifold or am I missing something.

Joe Santana is working on a 40 & while it is a later engine, I think still a 356. His is coming out the front like the 327.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 19:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a shot of the hardline routing on my car. The new line was bent using the original line as a template.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.38 KB)
1_4d548acd7ba00.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/10 20:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Okay BigKev, you've now set a standard for my motor to shoot for as I work my way through this car. Here's where it was when I found it but don't judge a book by its cover; a day later it was running smooth as silk...

Attach file:

jpg  (37.71 KB)
2646_4d548f1d50ced.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/10 20:21
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Michal,

Here is the before and after on my motor.....this should show anything is possible at home with some basic tools and time. Except for the air cleaner, battery, hoses, and wire, everything else you see are the same parts the car came with. Just rebuilt, and repainted.

Attach file:

jpg  (196.35 KB)
1_4d5490d530fe5.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (41.32 KB)
1_4d54912d2b9ef.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/10 20:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Kev,

Fantastic job! I LOVE seeing a great engine bay. I'll post my pics soon, almost done with the SAME project. Rebuild and painted most parts. A small bead blasting cabinet for $150 (JUST big enough for the manifolds) and a parts washer was a GREAT investment for this job.

Also, Kimball Midwest makes a heavy solids black paint that lays easy, no primer needed, sticks to and over everything including grease and residue. It did a great job on my 50 for the steering parts and frame rails etc.

I routed my fuel lines out of the carb toward the fender, then over and down, to keep the fuel pressure gauge and glass bowl filter from being directly over the heat from the exhaust manifold.

Edit: Michal,

That's exactly how the 288 i pulled out of my car looked, and the whole engine bay. It was the quietest and finest running motor I've ever owned. Hoping the 327 tops it :)

Posted on: 2011/2/11 9:58
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Short update: I pulled the fuel pump and sent it off to Feltz in TX. We spoke a few times by phone; very nice guy and highly recommended. A week later I had a gorgeous rebuilt pump installed. I decided to run an experiment (and make life a little easier for myself) by plumbing with rubber hose. I do like the appearance of hardline but was eager to get on the road. I also figured if I was suffering from vapor lock, rubber would be a better insulator for my fuel than metal.

Well, I remain convinced sticking to the mechanical fuel pump is the way to go if there was one there in the first place and you're not making big modifications. That motor just seems quieter, happier, and has been much more reliable in hot starting than before. Haven't hit a warm enough day for a true test but I have made a few 70+ mph runs at close to a 1/2 hour each without complaint from the motor.

Now, handling is another story and it's pretty bad. Who wants to offer up an opinion on where to start? A good bump in the road causes a bad swing L & R as well as up & down. I'm thinking my shocks are unevenly worn and my stiff old tires aren't helping. What's the hot ticket on shocks and rubber for this car?

Thanks as always for everyone's help,

Michal

Attach file:

jpg  (63.34 KB)
2646_4d6dc33867bd4.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2011/3/1 23:11
Michal

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Did you check the hydraulic oil level in your shock absorbers? It's not uncommon for them to be low or empty.

I can personally recommend Apple Hydraulics if you need to get them re-built. You can get your front end rubber from Steele Rubber, Kanter Bros, or Max Merritt (although I think most of it comes from Steele Rubber anyway).

I put WWW Diamondback radials on my '50 and have been very happy with them. I wouldn't recommend doing too many 70+ mph test runs on 'old stiff tires' .

That fuel pump looks great!

Posted on: 2011/3/1 23:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
I think cortcomp has his labels reversed on the fuelpump side of the picture. The section with 2 ports pretty much has to be the pump outlet (is it even possible to install both check valves upside down?) I have seen some packard pumps with the outlet facing front, some with it rear.

You really want to install a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the pump & the carb. If you have 4-5 psi when it stalls/ no starts, the the mech pump probably won't help. (if you have low pressure, it could be the pump, it's power supply, a leak in the suction hose from pump to tank, or junk floating around in the tank that temporarily blocks the pickup tube.)

Carb float level might be too high, or carb might be over heating - check if the heat riser valve is stuck or flopping "closed".

(Your eng is REALLY purty!)

Posted on: 2011/3/3 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
There have been numerous references to the "rubber" in the front ends of '41 Clipper through 23rd series cars as needing replacement if handling is poor. The only rubber in the front end suspension are the four 1" diam (approx) bushings on the bottom of the stabilizer links. The rest of the front end suspension has threaded metal bushings and shafts or pins. We manufacture all of these parts.

ON the greasable threaded shafts/pins with bushings there are rubber collars which keep the grease in and the dirt out. If these are worn or missing it doesnot affect handling at all but will affect how long the metal parts will last. There are also rubbber upper and lower rebound bumpers which we make.

We do not buy any of the rubber parts from Steele. Instead of speculating and giving people the wrong impression, just ask and get the correct information firsthand.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Great info Fred. I had no idea such a longstanding figure in the community was checking in here. Kudos for setting the record straight; I won't hesitate to throw questions your way...

Michal

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:57
Michal

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved