Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1929 640 Water pump/fan hub pulley
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, take another look at the sketch, either you or I are reading it wrong. I see the overall width of the pulley, outside to outside, as 1-1/8 but the actual belt pathway less than that, but not specified. So perhaps they are not different afterall?

Posted on: 2014/1/10 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
To clarify a few points.

The 633/626 Eight engines had front mounted or side mounted water pumps. The "problematic" water pumps are confined to the 633/626 cars with front mounted pumps. The 640/ 645 Super Eights all had the more conventional front mounted water pump similar in design to previous models.

The front mounted pumps on the 633/626 models were made to fit into a reduced space restricted by the fact that an eight cylinder engine was "show horned" into the space for a 6 cylinder engine. The front mounted pumps incorporate an internal gland seal nut that is difficult to adjust.

The two 633's that I restored both had front mounted pumps and they both now have a modern non adjustable mechanical seals which fixed the problem completely.

I do not know how many 633/626 cars had front mounted and side mounted pumps or which came first however the side mounted pumps are attached to a lug cast into the cylinder block so retrofitting a side mounted pump to a block made for the front mounted pump involves some non factory modifications to support the pump. The side mounted pumps are of a similar design to other models in that they have an external easily adjusted gland nut.

In my limited experience the front mounted pumps are more common.

The water pump pulleys are made from cast steel and are fragile. The shaft needs to be pressed out from front to back with the back of the pulley very well supported. Any force applied to the thin sections of the pulley will break them.

I would get the machine shop that broke the original to machine a new one from mild steel, not a difficult job.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 4:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I have spare water pump parts. Send me a PM and I will get you pictures and details.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2014/1/11 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Even when I was a kid I never broke one. If you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground I suppose it is possible.
From my perspective it is a theoretical proposition.

I know this doesn't help Jim find a new pulley, but when taking these parts somewhere it may be instructive to inquire how they plan to proceed. For those pumps I used a homemade puller which hung on the wall amongst my other homemade Packard tools. Today I'm in Detroit using homemade tools to sort out all this computer controlled crap.

I know these plastic fantastic modern cars don't inspire emotion like those old Packards, but the working environment is a lot more pleasant and since that takes up most of my day it wins out over the cars.

Posted on: 2014/1/12 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

DavidM wrote:
I do not know how many 633/626 cars had front mounted and side mounted pumps or which came first however the side mounted pumps are attached to a lug cast into the cylinder block so retrofitting a side mounted pump to a block made for the front mounted pump involves some non factory modifications to support the pump. The side mounted pumps are of a similar design to other models in that they have an external easily adjusted gland nut.

In my limited experience the front mounted pumps are more common.

I think it is more common to see the front-mounted pump on the 626/633 if it was an export car.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 9:07
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to Turnquist's commentary on the 6th Series in his book, "The first Standard Eights had a side-mounted water pump to save space between the fan and the radiator. The pump proved very unsatisfactory and a conventional type pump was installed after 2 months of production". Not that Turnquist always had his facts straight.

The Kimes tome in the chapter on the 6th series cars (by Morgan Yost) has it differently: "The pump at the front of the block had to be compressed, leaving no space for the Alemite fitting to grease the fan and water pump bearing, this solved by providing a hole in the fan hub to receive an Alemite fitting which would have to be removed and a pipe plug screwed in. "Important" warned the Information Book, Do not leave the Alemite filling in the pulley as ut tends to throw the assembly out of balance". The fan belt could not be replaced except by loosening and tilting the radiator forward, rather a chore. Packard was soon aware of it's mistake and changed the pump location mid-model to a left-side position on the bottom radiator hose. The following year the engine would be relocated, twin fan belts installed, and the redesigned pump put back in it's original position".

So, take your choice of two different scenarios from the "historians". To me, the Morgan Yost explanation seems the more plausible.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I think Turnquist had it backwards. His book is full of mistakes. None of which were corrected in its second printing, even when given a long list (which certainly didn't point out all of them, either)

Posted on: 2014/1/13 13:46
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think you're being too hard on Bob. I worked on an early 6th series car and it had the side winder. I also worked on a late 6th series car that had the block mounted pump.
The later car used a link belt to run the fan which was adjusted by removing a link. Neither car had water pump problems, although the later car shuttled between New Jersey and Miami beach every other year.

Both of those books have mistakes, but if you want to be really wacky about historical "facts" you need to join a canal historical society. Somehow non-essential history becomes a reaction zone where people grasp at exactitudes while ignoring all of the complete baloney and fabrication that comes from the government, from Wall Street, and from the news media.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 18:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved