Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

Jeff Williams, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1932 902 speedometer
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
OK, I did the brave thing and got a speedometer cable for my car and connected it to the engine. Then I drove around the block to be sure the cable was turning. When I connected the cable to the speedometer, nothing happened. So I took the speedometer off and put a nail in the cable hole. It did not turn.

That's when I took the whole speedometer apart and found the grease in the gears was a very old and firmly solid. So I softened the grease and removed the gears and cleaned them and oiled them with sewing machine oil. It now turns mostly smooth with a nail in the cable hole. I placed a nail in a drill and turned the drill counterclockwise. the speedometer holds a steady 25 miles per hour. Then I reconnected the cable to the speedometer and the speedometer still doesn't turn. So what am I not doing? Any help?

Curtis

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:05
Just something to do while I'm waiting for Jesus.
 Top  Print   

Re: 1932 902 speedometer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the 32 setup has the same basics as later cars, then with your description I would think the cable is either too short or is getting pushed down in the casing somehow so it won't slide in the receiving end to connect. Another possibility is one of the ends could be the wrong size or length and with a load to drive is either slipping when it is in place or else not going into the receptor properly.

Can you manually twist the speedometer end of cable and it is solidly locked. That would eliminate the drive end as having problems.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
Thanks for the help. The speedometer end of the cable flexes slightly, but doesn't turn. This gives me an idea; so I'll test the other end of the cable by connecting it to the speedometer and then disconnecting it at the transmission to see if I can turn the speedometer from the opposite end of the cable.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how that worked.

Curtis

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Could be a broken inner cable.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
You nailed it, BigKev. I removed the cable at the transmission end and then started to turn the end even before I connected the cable to the speedometer and there was no action on the speedometer side. So I pulled out the cable to see what was the matter and then discovered the cable was broken, but a long time ago because there was real old grease packed into a very knotted cable. Now I get to go back to the place I bought it from and ask if they have a good cable.

Curtis

Posted on: 2011/2/27 18:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Curtis,

to PackardInfo and good to see your problem has an answer.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 19:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Then I drove around the block to be sure the cable was turning.

The speedometer end of the cable flexes slightly, but doesn't turn

So how come it worked OK in your first tests?

Posted on: 2011/2/27 19:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd remove the old cable sheath, clean it and inspect it carefully for damage that might have caused the cable to "knot" inside. If it appears OK, you might have to buy a length of "universal cable", cut to length, and solder or crimp your old ends onto it. Had to do that on my 34, no problem. You can buy the interior cable in spools of 100 ft length. Or probably you can go to Kanter's or Max or other vendors who may have it already made up. But the key is making sure there is no damage to the sheath which could cause the new cable to also fail.

PS - Curious, is your transmission end of the cable the same as the picture below from 1933/34?

Attach file:

jpg  (104.03 KB)
177_4d6aedcf8aac0.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/2/27 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Years ago I was worked in an auto electric shop that also did speedo repairs. Many times a car would come in with a broken cable caused by a frozen-up speedo head. Much less frequently, a broken cable due to a a crimped housing also happened. We replaced many cables but few housings. Probability is on your side for a new cable to fix your problem. However, do as O_D suggests on cleaning and inspecting the housing.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/27 21:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Curtis Buck
See User information
Good point Howard, The cable would turn in the sheath at slow speeds, but would not turn the speedometer once it was connected.

Curtis

Posted on: 2011/2/27 23:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved