Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

steering slack help
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Hey all I'm the proud owner of a 1941 120 and let me tell you I love driving it. My question is when I'm driving down the road the steering wheel has 2 inches of play side to side. Could this mean the steering box needs rebuilding or something different? I thank you for any information.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 20:56
 Top  Print   

Re: steering slack help
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
This COULD mean the steering box needs rebuilding, it COULD mean one, two, three or four tie rod ends need replacing, it COULD mean a tie rod end retaining nut is loose and it COULD mean other things need attention.

If you are not mechanical, take it to a competent mechanic to determine IF anything is loose/worn or IF it is withing normal play, or diagnose it yourself.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT... just two inches??? As Fred said, it could be one of a number of different things. If it's only two inches, I'd first try adjusting the steering box, then go to the tie rod ends, then the center steering link, which is the hardest to replace, but is very commonly "frozen" for lack of lubrication. Most Packard owners do not complain about 2 inches of play, but if you're like me, you want it to feel as if it came from the factory.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 22:49
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Another question, how does it track? If it runs true and doesn't wander or "jump around", for want of a better term, then there's no real problem. If you're experiencing jumping or wandering then start the diagnostics suggested. I believe good '41 120 steering boxes are almost impossible to find.
EDIT - Forgot my manners! Your first post, so Vintage41 to PackardInfo. And I invite you to include your '41 120 in the Packard Owners Registry here on PackardInfo. There's never enough '41 120's!

Posted on: 2011/5/23 0:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Thanks for the replies guys, I have several 1930s-1960s American classics this being my first Packard pardon my lack of knowledge. I know with each car line some problems are common thats why I posted about the steering slack. The car tracks perfect on bump steer at all. I went on an hour and a half cruise this weekend and it was great except for that. Talk to me about steering box adjustment.

Warm Regards

Jamie

Attach file:

jpg  (167.55 KB)
3760_4dda51b5204bc.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/5/23 7:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Talk to me about steering box adjustment.

It's covered in detail in both the owner's manual and the shop manual. First thing I'd do is to determine if there is excessive play, and if so, where. Read the instructions carefully as one can damage the steering gear box by over-ambitious adjustment.

Here are the pages from the 1941 owner's manual.

PS - Again, check the box for play but I suspect 2 inches of free play at the rim (and it's a large diameter rim) was probably pretty typical of the era. If you were to reduce the wheel diameter to what today's steering wheels are, your 2 inches probably becomes 1 inch or so. You can't expect the feel and response of rack and pinion, or even the later recirculating ball type which Jeep used up until very recently and may still use.

Attach file:

jpg  (247.67 KB)
177_4dda68efe915b.jpg 1600X1175 px

Posted on: 2011/5/23 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Nice 41!
Jamie, you need to make a trip to Dallas to visit Jim Hollingsworth. He is "Mr. 40 Packard" and is very knowledgeable about the cars. He also has at least one 41 as I remember. The steering on both years is the same.

If you need a good mechanic, Terry Weiss in Tyler TX is the guy you want. Terry has worked magic on my Packards several times - wish I could get him up here to Montana. Both of these gents are in Packards North Texas, the local DFW Packard club. You are lucky in that there are a number of good Packard folks in your area.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 13:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved