Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 225

Duane Gunn, BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Mythbuster #777 Fram Oil Filters
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Some people like Coke, some Pepsi, some Dr Pepper and some 7up; some think Ford pickups are junk and others wouldn't be seen dead in a Chevy pickup. All those products are good, the choice is really a preference.

If there were a bad brand of filters that caused engine damage the buying public would discover it pretty soon, as would car manufacturers whose warranted cars were blowing up engines they had to replace to the tune of $5,000 a pop.

There are good and there are better filters to be sure. The good ones are good enough to keep a warranty in effect, the better ones filter better but the jury is still out on whether they make the engines last longer. An engine that lasts 200,000 miles with a good filter and 300,000 miles with a better filter may be of no benefit if the car is rusted and worn out at 150,000.

Why don't we debate ash tray capacity?

Posted on: 2011/6/23 22:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
fred kanter wrote:......Why don't we debate ash tray capacity?
Because in this day and age it would be politically incorrect!

Posted on: 2011/6/24 1:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
The good ones are good enough to keep a warranty in effect, the better ones filter better but the jury is still out on whether they make the engines last longer. An engine that lasts 200,000 miles with a good filter and 300,000 miles with a better filter may be of no benefit if the car is rusted and worn out at 150,000.

Why don't we debate ash tray capacity?

Fred, Good points. I have an '83 Volvo 242 as my daily driver. It has over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The car has had oil and filter changes every 3000miles since new with name brand oils. The engine neither burns or leaks oil between changes and would doubtlessly last 500000miles at this rate or wear. The problem is the body is rusting out. I wonder if all that money on expensive Mann and Wix filters and gallons of premium oil was worth the expense. Possibly it would if the car was in Arizona where the sheet metal wouldn't rust out.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 7:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ditto on the rusting out, near Lake Erie in ohio and we get dumped on every year plus all the salt the state throws out. I have a 2000 van for work with 180,000 miles and will likely run forever but now we're getting to the stage where brake and fuel lines are rusting and breaking. That motor could go 500,000 miles, but likely not in this chassis.

I know the diesel benz series from the 70's up to the 90's or so are reputed to go 500,000 miles as long as you change the timing belt so it doesn't break, but almost everyone i see has rockers and fenders rotting out, and some with holes in the floor.

I wonder how current cars are going to look in 50 years? The paint has gotten better, the plastic fender trip and guards will eliminate or hide a lot of rust and they're doing better at designing the car to drain it's trapped water or seal it so it's not trapped in the first place. I have an 05 mustang i barely drive, i'm hoping that in 20 or so years if i still have it, that it looks as good as now because they seem to just hold up better.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 10:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK Fred, I'll take you up on your offer. The rear ashtrays on my 34 have a capacity of 6 cubic inches.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
6 cubic inches, WOW that is huge..., somehow I doubt that is measured using the standard water volume technique.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Easy, the rear ashtrays are a simple cube, 2 x 2 x 1.5 inches inside dimensions.

Attach file:

jpg  (183.71 KB)
177_4e04cbc170408.jpg 1500X1125 px

Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Sorry, Dave. Fred wants a debate, and you can't debate that. Not for very long, anyway.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:44
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Below is a photo of 3 Fram filters manufacured at approx the dates shown. There was a post (which I'll try to find) from a supposedly ex-Fram employee who said that when Allied bought Fram they cheapened the filters by switching to paper end caps. The tone of his post didn;t set will with me so I investigated and found the truth.

Allied bought Fram in 1983. You will see pictured below a pre 1960 Fram filter with paper end caps, a 1978 Fram filter with paper ends caps , and a 2011 Fram with paper end caps.

AS I had suspected the post was a fabrication and there are tens of thousands of anti-Fram posts on the internet of similar dubious quality. There seems to be a "sport" of bashing the leader on the internet which is fueled by the posters anonymity. For all the good the internet does we must suffer with this.

Do not believe everything you read, possibly including my post. Any doubts, a bit of research will help. First hint, if the poster identifies himn/herself by his real name and there is a way of finding out how to trace him. it's probably real. Except of course Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton and George W.Bush.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.78 KB)
753_4e04db3dceb0a.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/6/24 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
FWIW, 1948-1954 Packards don't have any ash trays. They only have ash receivers. So sez the Parts Manual. So I guess we are out of luck.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:10
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved