Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1953 clipper deluxe touring sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chester Neel
See User information
I just bought a 1953 clipper. It is in fair condition. No bad rust. I got the engine to run with a gravity feed hose to the carburetor. It's been run three times for about 20 minutes each. I have the emergecy brake working. I plan on fixing it to be a driver. I will post pictures as soon as I find my camera. This is my first Packard and my first attempted resore.

I have some questions:

In what order should I proceed?

What is the expected time before it needs an overhaul(assuming it's OK now)?

How much maintenance is required to keep it going?

My ideas are:

get the fuel system working
get the brakes workng
wheel bearings
new carpet, seat covers

I am open for ideas. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Chester

Posted on: 2011/7/26 15:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 clipper deluxe touring sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
"What is the expected time before it needs an overhaul(assuming it's OK now)?"

Well, if clean oil is used and you're not driving it as a daily driver or beating on it, i'd really assume it should run forever....made it 50 years so far right? Of course mine just spun a rod, but i think that was mainly luck of the draw.

Automatic? My ultramatic gave me about 3-5 thousand miles before i rebuilt it (After sitting 10 years), but if you weren't picky about leaks and such, it probably could have been driven a lot more.

Each car is different, but i wouldn't say the Packard was in need of chronic rebuilds over time like, say, a poured Babbitt motor that's just going to wear out over time with general use.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pull down the service manuals from the website and go through all the basic system one by one to make sure everything is attended to. They are good motors, and unless really neglected should give you years of dependable service.

That being said they are not the same as motors today which can go 200,000+ miles with any major work. Valve adjustment may be needed, new rings at some point, etc.

Things to inspect and go over:

Brakes, no sense moving if you can't stop. Inspect the entire system and replace anything questionable. This is only a single cylinder system, so if you bust a brake line, you have nothing but the parking brake to slow you down.

Wheel bearings, they can be expensive to replace, so inspect and repack now, before any damage may occur. The rears are a pain to get to, but often neglected till it's too late. Also replace the rear seals as well at that time. Cheap insurance. Also a good time to drain and refill the differencial as god knows the last time it was done.

Electrical and ignition next, old car - old wiring. Check for missing, cracked insulation, or rat chewed wiring. My '54 was full of bad wiring.

Fuel system next. Drop the tank and clean it out and inspect. A dirty tank left me broken down several times.

Fuel pump and Carb should have new gaskets put in if there is any doubt to the last time it was done. Cheap insurance in my book.

Cooling system, inspect water pump and flow test the radiator. If a water pump rebuild is needed, then clean out the water distribution tube at that time as well. Also make sure you have a good, working correct thermostat.

Oil pressure... is it good? As that can tell you the condition of the bearings. Also drop the pan, and make sure the oil pickup screen is clear.

Basically sort the mechanicals first, the pretty can come later.

It's a lot of work up front if you don't know the mechanical history of your car, but once done the ongoing maintenance should be easy and cheap.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Chester, 1953 was probably one of the best years for Packard. You have received some excellent advice from BigKev. Brakes are the most important system, and next, in my opinion, are steering and suspension. I would move to these items before going on to the other systems as recommended by Kev. You have to be able to stop and steer safely. Granted, this work is not going to be visible, nor is it as romantic as engine work, but think of it as building a good foundation. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/26 17:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
J.W.,
Now that I have my '50, the next Packard I would like to own is a 1951, 52, 53 or 54. I am curious why you say the '53 is one of the best?? Should I specifically look for a '53?? Just askin'!

Posted on: 2011/7/26 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hi Paul, My preference for '53s is my personal opinion. I like the '53s because they are next to the last for the straight-8 engines, and reflect many years of development and experience. I like the '53s because they do not have the Gear Start Ultramatic, last of the line of transmission development before the not necessarily better change. I like the '53s because of their looks, reflecting the best of the Reinhart style. I like the '53s because, well, because I like them. My favorite Packard is a 1953 Patrician. I think Packard hit a high water mark, overall, with the 1953 Packards and Clippers. Thanks for asking.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/26 22:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The rule is mechanical work first, then body and paint, then upholstery, tires last thing before you put it on the road.

Typical engine life of a postwar straight eight, 5O,OOO to 8O,OOO miles without a rebuild. 1OO,OOO was considered very high miles, not many went that far before they hit the junk pile.

The engine was made to be rebuilt 2 or 3 times during its working life. Cylinders can be rebored, crankshafts ground down etc. They are not very difficult or expensive to rebuild.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Now that I have my '50, the next Packard I would like to own is a 1951, 52, 53 or 54. I am curious why you say the '53 is one of the best?? Should I specifically look for a '53?? Just askin'!

53's are certainly good cars and I sure wouldn't refuse one. As JW said, everything was refined and developed but if I had my druthers it would be a 54 Patrician or Pacific because the refinements are still there and the subtle styling facelifts in the rear & subtle chrome piece changes all over that just came together that year. The senior dash in particular turned out well. Since the Pacific is the 53 Clipper hardtop with everything thrown at it to make it senior--best of both.

The regular Ultra was available most if not all year and I would choose that rather than the gear start. Aside from the aluminum head on the senior 359 which was the only weak link but can be replaced with cast iron if needed or not already done, the engine is essentially the same reliable one the earlier cars had.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 23:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Chester Neel wrote:I just bought a 1953 clipper.....
G'day Chester,
Congratulations on the purchase of your '53 Clipper and to PackardInfo. Lots of solid advice there from the friendly, knowledgeable and experienced people here on PackardInfo.

And could you please consider including your '53 Clipper in the Packard Owners Registry?

Posted on: 2011/7/26 23:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chester Neel
See User information
Thank all of you for your replies. I much appreciate the information and opinions. I probably will make slow progress in trying to restore due to my inexperience. Also, it has been very hot here in Texas. We are on a run of 25 consecutive days above 100 degrees with no change in sight. I can't take the heat as well as I once could.

I will put the car in the Packard registry and update my progress from time to time.

Thanks again to all,

Chester

Posted on: 2011/7/26 23:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved