Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 137

Don B, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 clipper oil pump upgrade
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

missedgear
See User information
hi i have a 1955 clipper constellation 352 cu in v8, i understand the oil pumps on these can be defective (they cause air to be pumped into the oil causing damage ). anyone know where i can get a upgraded pump that can eliminate the problem. i live in scotland so information over here is thin on the ground, hope someone can help. thanks missedgear

Posted on: 2011/8/4 16:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 clipper oil pump upgrade
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Hello,

This should get you started. Follow this link and there is plenty of info here related to your question.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3785&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

My 55 Packard 400 has this conversion and a full flow oil filter also. Picture attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.69 KB)
20_4e3b1bee0e85c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/8/4 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a similar Olds pump conversion in my 56 Executive too. It's GREAT!!! Jack Vines sells an adapter.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 17:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day missedgear,
to PackardInfo.

See you've been well looked after in regard to the oil pump upgrade.

As a quid pro quo, could you please include your '55 Clipper Constellation in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo?

Posted on: 2011/8/5 1:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any trouble with the pump will show up with plenty of warning in the form of clacking valve lifters, and even that can be held at bay by running a quart over full. Basically, if you have no symptoms, you have no problem. Yes, the pumps are a weak point but they can run 100,000+ miles too.

If you are having lifter problems beyond a two second "morning sickness" when the car starts after a long rest, then the Jack Vines pump conversion is very good.

Don't think I would bother with with a full flow conversion unless I contemplated using the car in taxi service.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 5:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll have to agree with Ross. If the current pump in the engine is not causing any problems then don't try to fix it.

The problem here is that we do not know why missedgear brings up the issue at all.

If there is no reason to believe that that there any problems with the current pump in the engine then leave it alone. If there is reason to believe that the current pump is questionable condition then i wouldn't attempt to rebuild it. I would install the Olds pump conversion.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 7:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Missedgear,

Is the pump currently removed from the engine????
OR is the engine currently running????

We need more detail as to why u asked about the pump in the first place.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 7:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i went with a rebuilt unit, mostly because i didn't want to loose the originality of my vacuum wipers. i don't plan on driving the car daily and it wont see a ton of mileage in a year, so the original pump will serve me well.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 8:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Greetings, missedgear,

As has been mentioned above, if and when you need Packard oiling system parts, send me a PM and I can discuss all the options and combinations you might need.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/8/5 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
On kevin's pic i see the CL stamped on one of the main caps that we were discussing in the other thread

Posted on: 2011/8/5 11:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved