Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Replace trans cooler with molded radiator hose
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Brian,

I think you made the right choice, keep the original water cooled one and augment it with the air cooled one.

Speaking of keeping them cool and happy, has anyone thought of enlarging the Ultramatic pan for more capacity? Maybe even adding some cooling tubing or fins? Also, running a lower temp thermostat. Just some thoughts.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/14 17:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On my own cars, or if the customer does not mind, I bore 6 or 8 1 1/4" holes around the periphery of the trans portion of the bell housing. This lets a lot of heat out. I also give the convertors and the inside of the bell housing a light coat of flat black to help radiant transfer. Seems to keep them quite happy.

Scuttlebut aside, Ultras are not hot running transmissions unless operated for extended periods in convertor, of if the death march has already begun, heralded by the infamous slippy, groany, non-existent direct shift.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
FWIW, i bypassed the internal radiator cooler on my 50 after getting the radiator cleaned out. I routed out of the ultra into a long (24"ish,1st one below) aluminum finned tube cooler that's mounted against the frame rail (so the frame rail should act as a heatsink) and then up front and into two (in series) plate/tube type (second below) and back to the tranny. Both of the plate and fin are mounted side by side on the bottom of the radiator. I had plenty of pressure for lock up firmly at the right speed, but then again i JUST had the trans totally rebuilt too so everything was perfect. I figured this way i was getting the frame heatsink cooling effect, separating the radiator heat from the tranny heat (i really felt that the engine had a better chance of running everything hot together), and with all that hose and coolers, i think it took an extra quart or two of fluid, which helps keep things cooler and cleaner longer.

my 2cents, take it for what it's worth, i'm not a tranny expert or anything

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/3/15 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
i bypassed the internal radiator cooler on my 50 after getting the radiator cleaned out.

I wonder how many of these radiator coolers are still in use today. Guess they were problematic even when new since a kit was released to eliminate them.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO6.pdf

Posted on: 2012/3/15 9:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I've never seen a 23rd series car equipped with the Packard (external to the radiator) cooler kit. I'm still running with the in-radiator cooler on my '50.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For those of us who live and/or drive in colder climates, one thing worth remembering is that the transmission oil "cooler" isn't simply a cooler but really a transmission oil temperature regulator, essentially regulating the transmission fluid to the engine coolant temperature. Especially in direct drive an Ulramatic generates very little heat and in cooler weather a simple air cooler in cold weather could keep the transmission oil from reaching a temperature where is has the proper flow, pressure and lubricating properties.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Napa hose 7371 works too.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.71 KB)
20_4f653a5463db5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ross,
Can you post pictures of what you do/did? In Texas heat/temperature is an issue for our cars.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Geewhiz:

In Texas heat how about an oversized radiator core as well?

I would consider adding one of those external trans filter kits given the Ultramatic doesn't have one.

The Packard cooler seems more of a transmission temperature stabilizer than an actual cooler. Of course, to see what it actually does would require a test using bypass and temperature sensors.

Now for something a little more obscure: I would add a good ground strap to the transmission and rear axle. Believe it or not, electrostatic discharge was a cause of bearing wear in RWD cars.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Tim,
A factory A/C radiator helps.

Never heard of the bearing wear, so good to know.

It seems to make sense to use a air cooled trans-cooler with the factory one. The engine coolant is 160 to 180, and temperature is 95 - 100+.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 10:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved