Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

rear brake drum rivets
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
I've almost got the rear end finished except for the rivets for the rear brake drums were cut off by some previous owner.

Does anyone know of a die company or some other person to help with making the rivets with a pneumatic hammer or shop press. I have the 3/8" rivet material but the dies to form the rivets I cannot find, my last resort would be is to go to a machine shop and have them use a lathe.

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks,
Jason

Attach file:

jpg  (72.58 KB)
3340_4f99aaa10aa67.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (125.05 KB)
3340_4f99aac89d098.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:06
 Top  Print   

Re: rear brake drum rivets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check with the Ford Model A suppliers. At least one of them sold a simple manual rivet punch for that. And they are often found at larger flea markets. But you can do it yourself with hand tools also.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
Thanks Owen, I will look at that.

Another question, is in the transmission department the manual says to fill the tranny and to run the engine in gear at 800rpm for two minutes to fill the torque converter. I know they are the guys that built the drive line but I would think that you might want some amount of fluid in the converter before the tranny pushed the fluid into the converter, or am I just nuking this.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My bad on the rivets - I thought you were referring to the brake lining rivets. Sorry. I assume the original rivets were heat-shrunk into place?

Posted on: 2012/4/30 10:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check Big Flats Rivet Co and see if any of their 3/8" tools might work.http://www.bigflatsrivet.com/tools.html

Depending on how carefully the old rivets were cut off, would wonder if the flange might have been bent in the process.

As to filling the converter, unless it was partially filled on the bench, not sure how else you would do it. The drain plugs are not in a great position to use for filling.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

50packardkid wrote:
...run the engine in gear at 800rpm for two minutes to fill the torque converter...

Not 'in gear'. Neutral would be fine.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ronaldg
See User information
The one thing that the rivets do is that they "center" the drum on the hub so that when the drum is turned it will stay where it belongs. Ihave rplaced the drums and used bolts to center the drum for turning the drum and instlled the rivets. You might find the rivets at Moose Motors ask Jeff 707-792-9985) and you will need a locating pin rivet also.

Posted on: 2012/12/23 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
You may want to try:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

They have both the rivets and forming tool.

Measure the thickness on the drum and casting that the rivet will have to pass thru and make a test part of the same thickness with the same diameter hole.

You may have to shorten the length of the catalog rivets to get a tight fit after forming the head over.

If the rivet is to long it won't clamp tight against the drum and casting. To short and you won't have enough material left to full form the head over.

After you get the right length heat the rivets up to a dull red, back up the other side and use a press or 3 - 5 lb. hammer with the forming tool to set each rivet.

Good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.47 KB)
1584_50d746b2854a9.jpg 624X671 px

jpg  (27.25 KB)
1584_50d746bce1ad2.jpg 578X317 px

Posted on: 2012/12/23 13:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2012/12/23 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I posted this for Joe Santana on his project blog regarding rear brake drum rivets. You may not need them. Here is the link to #313 posting with my idea on this topic.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=310#threadbottom

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/23 18:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved