Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Converting from 6V to 12V '48
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
I am nearly complete building a complete '48 Wire Harness. My customer just informed me that he wants 12V instead of 6V. Who out there knows which wires I need to pull from my harness, and what new ones I need to add?

Posted on: 2012/6/18 6:19
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Re: Converting from 6V to 12V '48
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Wiring harness should be the same-difference is all the other stuff that connects to wiring harness-light bulbs/generator/starter/coil etc

Posted on: 2012/6/18 7:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Is he switching to a 1-wire alternator, 12 volt generator or what? If you built the harness using the heavier 6 volt wire gauges, it's probably overkill for a 12 volt system. But I guess it's his money.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 7:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
He is going with the alternator. The harness was built for 6V, and will remain that way.

Thanks for responding.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 4:38
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually 6-volt wires are much more robust than 12-volt wires, so I would guess there is no problem. Your customer will have a problem with his light bulbs, though, if I remember correctly.

Why is he going to 12 volt? Certainly not because it's better. The usual reason is to hook up air conditioning, or to have a source to charge modern Ipods, GPS or radar detectors. That, in my opinion, is a LOT of work and expense just to charge a phone. It would be cheaper and easier to just put a spare 12-volt battery in the trunk for that kind of stuff.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 6:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
For phone charging,GPS and even a hidden AM/FM radio you can always install one of those 6V pos grnd to 12V neg grnd converters. I have one in my 38 (6V) and it works fine.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 11:58
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Phil and t'others are right. Tell your customer not to butcher his car. Nothing wrong with six-volt systems so long as everything's up to snuff. In the bargain, six-volt wiring is heavier than 12 volt harnesses. Just make certain he has 00 gauge battery cables, and that any master disconnect switch is rated for more amps than the starter draws. I got a good brass, marine quality one at a local auto parts house for $24 years ago, doubt they're much more now. Husky build quality. Simple, easy. Stick it under the dash through the firewall.

Personally, i like driving my Packard so i can escape cell phones, gadgets, electronic small talk. But doing what Phil suggests will let your customer neatly straddle both eras.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 16:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree as well. With the possible exception of adding A/C, converting to 12-volt is just nonsense.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Amen. And we've got air conditioning. They're called vent windows, for and aft, and a cowl vent. Have never understood why people want to burden these beautiful engines with air conditioning.

No cup holders in my Packard, either. Hallelujah!

Once upon a time in America, people drove Packards and other automobiles long distances, over the hills and far away, without cupholders, air conditioning, power seats, seat warmers, and without constantly eating whilst behind the wheel. But then, most Americans weren't clinically obese, either.

If your customer persists on 12 volts, ad nauseum, sell him a retro rod with a Packard grille plastered on the front.

Gawd, you wonder why some of these loons want a Packard. Or if they've an idea how fine Packards were and

CAN BE.

Sadly, while many people get excited rebuilding an old engine, getting all the linkages and fittings up to snuff is beyond them, what separates the men from the boys,
draws so many to modern conversions, short cuts, retrorods.

Fun4, if your customer has something like a soul, and drives a fully rebuilt, fettled Packard, he'll understand the above.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Once upon a time in America, people drove Packards and other automobiles long distances, over the hills and far away, without cupholders, air conditioning, power seats, seat warmers, and without constantly eating whilst behind the wheel. But then, most Americans weren't clinically obese, either.

Lets see. driving any car in 100 degree heat is fun? Cup holders are frivolous? The word that crosses my mind is curmudgeon....

As a licensed old fart, hydration and comfort are two key parts to the senior triad of pleasure and satisfaction. Since someone is bound to ask, the third leg of the tripod is of course regularity......

Going two hours to an event in hot weather is debilitating; driving home is exhausting. Adding air can certainly be seen as adding safety; in any event it's far less desecrating than leaving a car in a leaky barn for umpteen years meaning to get to it someday.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 19:12
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved