Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

su8overdrive, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Allow me to introduce...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jdp3
See User information
Hello fine folks of Packard Info! I've been lurking these parts for quite a few months now, gathering information, and learning as much as possible from those who have tread before me! I thought it might be a good time to introduce myself.

My name is Jason, and I own a 1951 200 Club Sedan, 2DR. Long story short...my wife and I were making our way cross-country from San Fran to NJ. While driving through SD, and passing the time surfing the web on my phone while the wife took a driving shift, I happened upon this '51 a mere 100 mi from our then location! So...a right turn off Interstate 90, 100 miles, and $2000 later, I owned a Packard. And here we are.

The car instantly spoke to me. Absolutely loved the lines, and had to have it! I'm a gear head through and through, and many different vehicles pique my interest. Grew up turning wrenches on the family's '64 Chevy Malibu. My mom bought the car brand new, and had her first date with my Dad on the same day...and both still run! My first love was a 68 Mustang Fastback that I drove through HS and College. A string of other Mustangs after that, before getting into the Jeep hobby. The current "fleet" consists of a 2011 Mustang GT, 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Jeep w/self restored 1967 Stevens M-416 Military Trailer, 2006 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Harley Street Bob, and of course, the '51! I know....too many toys!

Now, little did I know about this car when I purchased it except for the fact that it was the straightest, most solid 61 year old car I had ever seen, thanks to not living in the rust belt of NJ! But how could I resist the funkiness of that Straight 8?! Super cool in my book, and not something you see everyday! The car was advertised as running, however we were not able to get it to fire while I was there. No matter though...the engine turned freely, so I knew it would be fine with a thorough going over. Arranged the shipping a few weeks after buying it, and it now lives with me in Northern NJ. As luck would have it, I quickly realized that one of the world's largest supplier of Packard parts, Kanter, is about 15 miles from my house! Extremely convenient, and highly dangerous for the wallet!

To date, I have gutted the interior and started to go through all the mechanicals of the car. I have already compiled a fair amount of parts, and my main goal for right now is to get it back on the street where it belongs. Once I get it running, I will start working on the body on a long term basis.

I hope I've not been too long winded! I look forward to contributing to the forum and learning as much as I can. I'm sure I'll be picking a lot of your brains...but I promise I'll always search first! (The other "toys" have made me Forum friendly!)

Last but not least, some pictures of my girl! Enjoy!

Attach file:

jpg  (35.87 KB)
4328_4fe6a5dec2f55.jpg 640X426 px

jpg  (36.48 KB)
4328_4fe6a5ef705b4.jpg 640X426 px

jpg  (37.55 KB)
4328_4fe6a6034037a.jpg 426X640 px

jpg  (29.24 KB)
4328_4fe6a612acc50.jpg 426X640 px

jpg  (33.51 KB)
4328_4fe6a61eb7a12.jpg 640X426 px

Posted on: 2012/6/24 0:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Allow me to introduce...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jason,

to PackardInfo and for including your '51 200 Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. I'm curious about this comment against Modification Detail: "None Yet!"?

Posted on: 2012/6/24 0:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
A very rare machine, not many two doors about and looks unmolested ...............you will get lots of enjoyment from it.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 4:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You did well with a solid body and a good front grill. And the best part is yet to come as they are great to drive and surprisingly light on their feet for a large car.

I see you have stick shift. Overdrive? If so you can own the fast lane as much as you like and flash your headlights at the latte drinking daydreamers. Even more so if it has the 327. Its going to be fun.

I'm with you--the lines are quite pleasing and downright sleek compared to the 1951 competition.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 5:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Welcome Jason and his new ride! You'll find that the curious malady you're now obviously afflicted with is known as Parkarditis, and is not one that you need to call your doctor about if symptoms persist for more than four hours...we won't tell your wife...

The new ride looks remarkably solid and complete, and I agree that the 200 2 door has a clean, uncluttered line that looks well even now (compare that with the Cad!).

Being in NJ and undertaking this project, you'll also want to know about Bill Hirsch (Newark)who has the largest selection of OEM type interior materials on the planet. If I can help (I have a '54) with anything, flick me a PM!

Posted on: 2012/6/24 8:48
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
jdp3 -

For some basic info on your model and a short list of recommended reading, check out this site's Model Info feature - namely, entry for the 2465 200 Deluxe Club Sedan.

Most of the links to "Recommended Manuals and Literature" will take you to an article in the site's archive with direct link(s) to the actual file(s), which can be downloaded for FREE. Those files are in PDF format, which requires Acrobat Reader. However, because some of the PDFs can be quite large, you might want to RIGHT-click on the link to the actual file and select "Save Target As..." to copy the file to a folder of your choice on your computer's local hard drive.

There's also a link which takes you to the site's online Service Index of bulletins, each of which is also saved in PDF, that apply to 1951-54 models.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 9:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jdp3
See User information
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Ozstatman- No big modifications planned for now, but I don't rule anything out for down the road!

Peter- Love the 2 doors! And yes, this car is very unmolested. Still surprises me the more I work on it just how solid and complete the car is!

Ross- I absolutely can't wait to get this beauty on the highway! I do indeed have a standard trans with overdrive, but no 327...288.

Bobby- Thanks for the link to a Bill Hirsch...will come in handy, no doubt.

BH- Have already downloaded just about every piece of literature for '51...but thanks for the info!

Let me just say...I am on a lot of different forums. It's been really refreshing cruising around this one over the last few months, as you all are the nicest group going. Never any attitude, or threads that turn into childish banter. Just fine folks sharing information about the cars they love...the way it should be!

Posted on: 2012/6/25 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Hey Jason, That is a "fine find" you have there and rock solid 200. The lines are indeed clean and that car has the patina to show them off nicely...congratulations and wish you many hours of enjoyment.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jason, I enjoyed looking at your car, best of luck with it.

The northern NJ area is packed to the gills with Packards and Packard fans, must be more than 100 within a 25 mile radius of you; if you're not already a member you might want to join PAC and then our NJ region, Packards East. Next time you stop in Kanters, see Stuart Blond who is an officer of our region and can get you membership materials. Or go to PAC's website for more information (www.packardclub.org). We've got a nice picnic coming up on August 19th at Morris Plains Community Park which usually draws 50 or so members and more than a dozen Packards, with Dan Kanter himself as chief chef! Great chance to meet like-minded Packard folk.

You also might want to visithttp://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=994 (3 pages) to see some of the Packards here in the northern NJ area. We'd like very much to have you join us.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 11:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved