Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

BigKev, Alpenfirn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

improved water pump?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 51 200 continues to run on the hot side, despite new water distribution tube, new oversized radiator core, checking of the timing etc. I didn't change the water pump when I rebuilt it, so this is my number one target. I see that Kanter offers a new, redesigned water pump for the 48-50 models that is supposed to give better performance. Has anyone heard of a similar one for the 51-54 models?

I've used Terrill Machine in the past on my other Packards for a water pump rebuild - any other firms that you guys are happy with? They have done good work for me, but I'd like to consider options.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 10:33
 Top  Print   

Re: improved water pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
another product i like is water wetter. i use it in my supercharged z3.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

Posted on: 2012/7/12 10:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might try Gould.http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/ Many here have given him high marks.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 10:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have had excellent experience with Feltz Terrill - send him your pump and let him look at it before he rebuilds it - he might see something you don't.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
David, After all you have done about your water tempature problem have you verified that the temp guage is giving you a correct reading?

Posted on: 2012/7/12 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Dave:

You can acquire a 160 degree thermostat for your car - I don't have the Stant number on me, but they are available. If the car does not have a thermostat in it that can cause overheating.

Prior to that check your motor vacuum and compression. Both low will run hotter.

Also, I assume the motor is hot underhood.

Also, make sure the lower hose is not able to collapse.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2012/7/12 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks for the advice guys. I don't know if the sender that fits in the block is the correct one or not, but the engine does get hot, with some bubbling over and healthy vapor locking at 95 degrees outside air temp.

I found a sensor at O'Riley that fit, so it may not be calibrated correctly. I added the waterwetter product which may have helped some. The thermostat is a 160 degree version, with the owner supplied small air bleed hole in it. The lower water hose is a possible culprit, as I used one of the flexible types with the interior coiled wire, and it is longer than it should be.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, what is the altitude in Billings, Montana? Keep in mind that water boils at lower temps the higher the altitude. I forget the formula, but it seems to me that it is 3 degrees F for every 1,000 feet of elevation above sea level. I used to live in Santa Fe, New Mexico which is more than 7,000 feet above sea level. Ouch!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
3500 ft

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
All temp sensors are not the same, even though they fit. They have a different ohmage.
A digital/laser temp gauge is worth the money as well. About $22.00.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 23:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved