Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

kevinpackard, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1701 Radiator removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

John Hamm
See User information
Hi, not sure I'm entering correctly, this is the first time I've been here. I have a 1939 120 and I need to remove the radator to recore. What is the best way to get it out? I really don't want to remove the front grill. Cant I snake it out? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Posted on: 2012/10/2 19:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1701 Radiator removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This thread of Jim's might help. Start about mid-way down. Several posts about removing the front clip. You may not need to remove all that, perhaps just the shell. You might make a list of what you have to disconnect.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5335&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=70

Posted on: 2012/10/3 0:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John,
to PackardInfo.

Certainly the easiest way is to remove the complete front clip. But I believe it can be done without doing so as I did it on my '41 120 some years ago. You'll definitely need two men to lift and carefully manoeuvre out the radiator. But before doing so you will need to remove the fan, waterpump and thermostat housing at a minimum.

Also......I invite you to include your '39 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/10/3 3:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect it can be done, I've seen the radiator removed from a 1601 without removing the front clip though as indicated above, it's a bit of a chore requiring extra hands.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
John, since you are going to need extra hands to remove the radiator either way you choose to do the job, I suggest you go the remove the front clip method. Removing the clip will provide access to the engine compartment that is not as easily done with the sheet metal installed. This provides a good opportunity to inspect and freshen up the engine and compartment. Also, less harm will be done to the radiator in removing and reinstalling it. Either way, good luck and let us know how your job turns out.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/3 11:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With the front clip removed, also a good time to check and inspect the center steering bearing link.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 11:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

John Hamm
See User information
Thanks guys for all your advise, what happened to the old saying that old cars are easy to work on. THANKS AGAIN

Posted on: 2012/10/7 6:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear John:

Been there done that.

Spray everything with liquid wrench (et al), let soak for a week, remove hood, remove fan, place cardboard over fins to protect radiator. Tie a piece of rope around the thing and throw over a beam, roll car forward to tilt radiator back and carefully remove.

Posted on: 2012/10/7 16:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

John Hamm
See User information
Tim, thanks for your response, I was hoping someone would have done it that way. The packard is pretty much rust free and was extremely well taken care of. I've had it for four years, 63,000 miles and believe or not, drive by a little old lady. Thanks again, I'll give it a try over the next several months. John

Posted on: 2012/10/8 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear John:

I just remembered one little detail. On cars with radiator shutters you are probably going to have to remove the water pump to clear the sylphon rod. With the radiator tilted back you may be able to swing it aside or get the front pin out.

Most of the time you have to jack up the motor on a piece of wood to get the water pump bolts off. There are two channel bolts through the frame that may need to be loosened.

Be vary carefull with the bolts because you don't want to break one off. Tap them with a hammer and carefully feel if they are stuck. And put grease or non-hardening sealer on them for reassembly.

Sorry for making it sound too good to be true, but 1940 was a lot easier.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 10:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved