Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1941 Lower Metal Radiator Pipe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
No one seems to have this piece and one place wants 2k to make 60 of them through one of the major vendors......do any of you know where to pick one up??????

Posted on: 2018/9/7 15:13

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Lower Metal Radiator Pipe
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Take the part to a muffler shop and have one fabricated.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Id love to but mine was missing......just got the radiator back from being cored and the new radiator hoses (2 piece lower).......is there a one piece lower hose that NAPA sells that i could use until i find a lower metal hose????

Posted on: 2018/9/7 16:10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
".is there a one piece lower hose that NAPA sells that i could use until i find a lower metal hose????"

Don't know, but.....if you do find one make sure it's a reinforced hose because the suction from the water pump could collapse the hose if it's not strong enough or when it ages.

I'd also recommend the comment of dallas or, do as I did about 10 years ago and buy a 90 degree stainless steel bend(won't rust) and trim to fit.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 17:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just adding emphasis to Mal's comment, if you use a one-piece lower hose insert a stiffner such as many factory lower hose installations used.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
What I found in 1 of my cars was a regular radiator hose with a spring in it to prevent collapsing.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 19:21
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Pat, I just re-cored my rad and when I purchased new upper and lower hoses, I was able to get the exact size and bend radius but the new hoses did not have the helical spring coils in them and, as is suggested here, they are required. I ended up taking the old ones out of the used hoses, and spent quite some time cleaning off all the scale and mineral deposits on them. I found the coils were a really tight fit in the new hoses, so I placed them in really hot water and got them nice and supple, then lubed them thoroughly with dish soap and tied a couple of cords, diametrically opposed on the end of the coil, and had someone hold the hose and I pulled the springs squarely through until they left just enough of a cuff to go over the rad and water pump barbs and they gave the hoses excellent rigidity. The springs want to elongate of course, so you have to kind of stuff the trailing end in as you go, with a stick of something smooth that won't damage the tube of your new molded bends, If your old hoses don't have the springs, I think you can buy new ones at Napa or some place like. A thorough rinse afterward so your rad isn't blowing bubbles and you're ready for antifreeze. This may or may not apply in your case, and it is a bit of a bother to do, but thought I'd share my little exercise anyways, just in case it could be of some use! LOL

Posted on: 2018/9/7 20:24
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks all for the suggestions.....im still in need of a fix for this. The coils from the old hose where in pieces and every where, even in the t-stat. The same vender that priced the metal pipe has a lower hose made of gold (price). He wont tell the hose number or where to get it until i find a metal lower.

Whats the best way to de-rust/scale the inside of the block?????

Posted on: 2018/9/8 16:05

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are you looking for something for a 110 and do you (or anyone else) have a photo of a 38-41 showing the radiator outlet and the engine pipe/hose combination you are trying to duplicate? Does your radiator lower outlet tube have it's opening vertical?

Reason I ask is there are two combinations in the parts book for 41 outlet hoses. In the category of Radiator hoses where they show inlet and outlet hoses, one of the combinations has two short and straight hoses which would connect a metal tube on either end to the rad and pump but that combo lists for the 19th senior models and no mention of the 1900. Your profile says you have a 110 so assuming that is what you need, on the next page there is another listing for a 324171 elbow, hose (outlet) for the 1900 - 1 - 1A models. To me since it says hose that would indicate there may not be a metal tube on the 110s or else Packard called a metal tube a hose. It would appear the same arrangement was used from 38-41 and probably 42. Unless someone will provide photos of an original junior car showing a tube it is just a guess on my part if one was used.

Max Merritt has a listing for the 324171 outlet hose but maybe his item is something for a metal tube substitute. Max shows a similar hose but with a longer side length for senior engines. He shows it to be a regular hose having a single 90 degree bend with a long length of about 11 inches. Interpolating his photo and his long dimension to what the short side might be I would guess it to be about 5".

Looking at my Clipper with a senior engine and metal tube, assuming I would want to eliminate the tube, the long side of the hose would go to the radiator outlet and the short side to the pump.

You could get Max's hose or for less money you could probably go to Napa and look at any 1 3/4" ID hose (double check your car to be sure that smaller engines did not have a smaller ID) that has a 90 degree bend and sufficient extra on either side of the bend to cut the length you need. They should also have the inner support spring to keep the hose open.

Posted on: 2018/9/8 17:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Someone else mentioned using SS exhaust tubing. Not sure if SS is needed and regular aluminized would be a lot cheaper. The senior engine tube is a 90 degree bend with a slight offset at the radiator end. If tubes on juniors are used and a real one doesn't appear perhaps you could get something like a stock 90 degree elbow and use that for most of the visible part. Here is one from Amazon but other parts stores should carry something too.

In a stock piece, one side might need to cut but the other end would be a bit short. If there is the same slight offset as senior tubes then the longer length of straight hose needed on that end going to the radiator should take care of the missing offset. The way the 41 hood opens the extra length of straight hose should be mostly out of sight.

If you did want the metal tube, using a stock exhaust piece would be a lot less expensive than getting 50 made or maybe even one custom made at an exhaust shop.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.70 KB)
209_5b94842e3a536.jpg 1920X921 px

Posted on: 2018/9/8 21:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved