Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 Water Pump swap out?? 2 other questions as well
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Is it possible to use a water pump from any other 120 straiht eight year engine? I have a 1936 120B and am tired of the packing issues I am having.

Also is there anything I can safely use to clean out the cooling system?

What coolant should I use in this car??

Any help or experience would be great.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/9/12 15:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 Water Pump swap out?? 2 other questions as well
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

The '38 Eight(aka 120) I owned had an earlier year engine in it but a later model water pump so I think the answer is yes. But best if the more experienced and knowledgeable here add their advice on this matter.

There was a recent thread where various cleaning products and techniques were covered, but I can't find it! Maybe you, or someone else, can and add a link to it here?

Regarding coolant. This will depend on usage of the car, climatic requirements and other factors. There can be many different approaches as well as personal preferences for this.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 16:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to browse these posts regarding coolants.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=120

Not quite sure I understand your problem with packing, generally the packing cord and gland nut system is good for tens and tens of thousands of miles. The one major reason they may not be is if the shaft is scored or worn. What kind of packing were you using, and how did you install it? Or have you just given up on it at this point?

Posted on: 2010/9/12 17:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Depending on your level of frustration with the "old style" water pump, two things you need to know - first is the packing is designed to leak a little, thats how the shaft stays lubricated - remember the old "water pump lube" additive. Now there are better aqueous additives, but the point is the same. And be darn sure to keep the oil reservoirs full. Now, to answer your question the answer is pretty much NO, unless you have your engine out, or are really talented. Option 1 - modify the holes in the block to accept the 39-47 pump. Can be done, best done by your engine/machine shop. Not a driveway/garage project. Option 2 - find a replacement early style waterpump with a sealed bearing shaft. NOT a Packard OEM pump - I have one and there is no indication as to who made it, sorry. Option 3 - assuming you would rather throw your pump at the barking dog next door, buy a "rebuilt" pump from a certain supplier that offers a lifetime guarantee and hope for the best. Keep your wrenches handy.
That said, I have experience with thousands of miles in several of these cars with the early style pump. My best advice is to really understand the pump, packing (different styles, this is KEY), old graphite style seems to wear in better than newer teflon style that requires better machining..., and be the one who tightens the pump nut shortly after the packing "wears in" or "settles in". Most rebuilders have gotten away from rebuilding these old style pumps - not because they are not capable - but because the expectation of bolting it on and forgetting about it is inconsistant with the design of the pump.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 9:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, that's a fine response!

Posted on: 2010/9/15 10:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
Just to throw in my experience. I have had my original 120B water pump machined and a ceramic seal fitted. Quite a number of other Packard owners in NZ have done the same and no problems and no leaks. The ceramic seal should last tens of thousands of miles and it can easily be replaced should it cause problems. Any good engineering shop should be able to do this. Cheers Mal from NZ

Posted on: 2010/9/15 16:15
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
1936 120B Convertible Coupe RHD
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I replaced the water pump on my 115C when it first became mine. This was probably not needed as tightening the packing nut would have stopped the leak. I have had no problem with leaks with the rebuilt pump since replacing it four years ago. I keep the two oil cups full and from time to time tighten the pack nut a notch.

I have heard of using the later water pumps on the '35-'37 120s and sixes. I believe an additional hole must be drilled and tapped to mount the later type pump. This is probably an unnecessary improvement.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/15 17:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Thanks for your experience. I think I'll buy a rebuilt one and give it a shot. I bought the car with this one in it and have had trouble with it since day one. The 78 year old gentleman that I bought the car from told me it was a new one. Ithink it was new 5-6 years ago. as well are the tires which he told me were new. I think the gentleman sold the car because he was coming down with Alzhiemers (I really mean it). The car itself is in great shape and just needs a little care.

Please let me know where I can find the older style of antifreeze for it. I believe from those I have spoke to that my cars engine has an aluminum head on it and don't want to do undo harm to it.

It just one of the Favorite 50 at the Adirondack National Car Show. Dennis Gage was there and it was a great time.

Drive it if you have one....

Thanks,
John H.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 17:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved