Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Mix & Match Heads & Blocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Have you ever wondered about the compression ratios you would get from mixing & matching heads from 288, 327, 356 & 359?

Attached is table with the info first in order by Compression Ratios then by Years/Types.

If I have left out some optional heads let me know.

John

Attach file:

pdf Size: 6.20 KB; Hits: 66

Posted on: 2011/8/12 14:53
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: Mix & Match Heads & Blocks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. Someone was asking not too long ago if something like this existed. I hope he sees it before it disappears or gets lost in the nether regions of the website. Maybe Kev can grab and post it somewhere in general info.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thats fine with me. Someone should check over it before it gets posted.

John

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:19
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Useful information, John. I'd be interested in knowing the source of the data, or the method of calculation. Having the combustion chamber volume or cc'ing the head is obvious but I've wondered about how to factor the volume within the headgasket perimeter into the final CR calculation.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John, welcome to PackardInfo.com!
The majority of new members start by asking questions. Your general overview is a welcome change!

Quote:
...Someone was asking not too long ago if something like this existed. I hope he sees it before it disappears or gets lost in the nether regions of the website...

Don't know if Guy (55PackardGuy) asked for but here he is definitely looking for.

Quote:
...Maybe Kev can grab and post it somewhere in general info.

Howard, perhaps in the Literature and Manuals section, next to the Packard Engine Serial Number Reference?

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:26
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Useful information, John. I'd be interested in knowing the source of the data, or the method of calculation. Having the combustion chamber volume or cc'ing the head is obvious but I've wondered about how to factor the volume within the headgasket perimeter into the final CR calculation.

The data on the original Compression Ratio's and engines comes from Specifications documents on this website.

If you know the compression ratio and the displacement of the engine you can calculate the volume of the combustion chamber. Once this is done you can calculate the compression ratio if the head is attached to other displacement blocks.

Obviously boring an engine over increases the compression ratio.

On the head gasket issue. If Packard originally accounted for the headgasket when they published compression ratios then it is accounted for in what I did, if not it isn't. I don't have all these head laying around to CC, I wish.

I am happy to pass around the excel version to anyone who wants to check it out.

John R.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:40
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Excellent work. So based on this I am running a 51-52 288 AT on my '54 327 block which works out to 8.38 compression ratio. Which is a bump up from the stock 8.0 compression ratio.

I suposed later on in life if I have to ever tear into the motor, I may want to find a 53/54 288 head which will give me 8.61 compression ratio.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John,
to PackardInfo. I see you only just joined but must have been watching beforehand to glean the information necessary before you undertook the exercise you did.
for doing that and to BigKev for including it in the Literature and Manuals section where it'll be readily accessible.

Now for the big one, if this interest in the mix & match of Packard engine compression ratios springs from your ownership of a Packard or Packard/s I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2011/8/12 17:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day John,
Now for the big one, if this interest in the mix & match of Packard engine compression ratios springs from your ownership of a Packard or Packard/s

Not yet, my Dad had 2 and I will get one sometime.

John

Posted on: 2011/8/12 21:23
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved