Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Engines runs stalls when put in gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not likely to be fuel. Otherwise thwre would be some stumbbling. Most likely electrical. Start with EASY things first. If engine ran ok with old condenser tjen put it back on and try it. Note that u can just attach condenser pig tail to diatributor side of coil and ground it with a jumper. If that does.not.correct then remove condenser under cap and replace. Also possible bad coil.s
Just because a NEW condenser or other parts were installed does not mean that they are good.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 18:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Thad,
to PackardInfo and trust your stalling problem is resolved soon.

And, I invite you to include your '50 Deluxe Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/8/21 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Try putting the rear wheels up on jack stands and running the car in drive. Check the transmission oil as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 22:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
How do I unstick a governor? Is there a bulletin on that? thanks!

Posted on: 2013/8/21 22:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Your fingers need to do some walking through this website's pages.

Bulletins (at least, those of which we are aware) are neatly indexed in the Packard Service Index, which can be accessed from the Main Menu, at right, of every page on the website. From the list on that page, you would select 1948-50 (22nd->23rd Series), and then the category, ULTRAMATIC, which cites several topics related to the governor.

However, you should also check out the site's Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, which can also be accessed from every page of the website; look just above the Main Menu. Specifically, look for the topic, ULTRAMATIC: Ultramatic Transmission - A Primer. It provides a short list of factory references, with links to this site's archive of Literature and Manuals, including, Ultramatic Service Training Manual.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
ok.
i am in the mist of research . I drive my 52 200 Deluxe at least three times a week out to the VA from Hollywood.

when she is cold she growls right before she shifts into the higher gear. when she warms up , no growl. when it warms up she stays in high. i have to manually start in low then shift up when i she winds up on the highway.
on the highway she stays locked up. The converter stays locked. when i stop she disengages.
it is a 53 Ultamatic cause i checked the casting numbers by the filler /breather hole on top.

i drained the fluid last year and filled it with Dextron fluid.
she seems to get too hot ( the transmission) but she has a trans cooler ( the aftermarket kind tied to the front of the radiator. )

i am starting to read:

the Ultamatic training manual

and

this :

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7994&forum=14

i am sure by the time i am done reading some one will respond with some good info or remedy..

i.e. Help!

thanks you guys

Posted on: 2013/8/26 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
'Low Range Converter <=> High Range Converter <=> High Range Direct (with a kickdown to Low Range Converter available, below a certain speed)

she does this fine

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure where the D is coming from as that was only in 55-6. In a 53 trans you should have H and L only. H would be it starts in high range converter and shifts to direct drive. Kickdown is available below 50 but only back into high range converter. L would start and stay in low gear but will go into direct drive and kickdown back to low. It never goes to high. There is no shift between L and H in a regular ultra unless you manually move the lever to do it.

The groan is a typical sound hardened direct drive clutches make. Most that have it just let up on the gas as the shift is made to lessen the noise and let the clutch engage. The dropping out of or not going into direct when fluid is hot is generally a symptom of a worn shaft or bushing which has too much clearance and is letting the direct drive pressure bleed off.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
i pasted that from the literature.

it kickes down into to low gear from high below 50
yes

it stays locked up in high on the highway

if i am city driving . i have to manually shift down to low if i stop.

otherwise it wants to go again in High.

That is normal? yes.

the groan only when cold.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
so all this is normal yes?

would you drive it a thousand miles? what would you or should i look at before a long road trip?

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved