The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Merry Christmas! Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...

« 1 ... 93 94 95 (96)

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
From Dayton
I'll be there with Packard in tow (1930). Would love to see your car there.

Posted on: 10/20 10:22:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Potomac, Maryland, USA
Will check it out definitely.

Posted on: 10/20 10:26:01

Home away from home
From Potomac, Maryland, USA
EXCESSIVE CHARGING What a simple solution to the charging issue!
I called Brillman customer service to see if there is a warranty on my voltage regulator. Just so happens I'm a month or two under the warranty period, so I'd be covered if the VR were at fault.
But it turns out it isn't.

It's the grounding screw that helps mount the VR to the cowl. The mounting screw serves as a ground. The VR demands a good, solid ground to do its job correctly. The hole in the cowl for the metal screw is just at that size where if you tighten it too much, the screw will turn. It was loose and that was fouling the system. What a relief. The batteries are still good. The generator good and the VR, too. I used that jumper wire I made to test the unit by grounding out the FIELD terminal on the VR and attached it instead to the GRD terminal and the the stud (which I tested for continuity with the block).

So's all good and I registered to attend the AACA meet in Gettysburg Nov 6-7.

ANY IDEAS ON OD CABLE CREEP?
When I'm out of overdrive, the cable creeps toward engagement.

Posted on: 10/22 10:06:11

Forum Ambassador
From Fresno CA
My OD cable is somewhat stiff to move even though well lubed so there might be enough friction to prevent drift. Obviously can't say how it compares to yours but does yours have a tube on the trans end where the threaded rod the clevis attaches slides into? That is a question because a prewar cable I have does not have a tube for the rod -- although I think it it should have one to prevent bending the wire and this cable has it missing.

If your cable is constructed somewhat similar to this 47 cable could you maybe add some kind of clamp on collar holding a flat spring or something similar on the end of the tube that would extend out and ride against to increase friction with the rod?

I can't remember if the lever is removable but if adding friction to the rod is not feasible, could the lever be removed and maybe a fiber or felt washer or something similar be added between the lever and the casting to increase friction slightly?

Attach file:

jpg  OD cable.jpg (121.77 KB)
209_5f91c97883055.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 10/22 11:06:05

Home away from home
From Dayton, OH, USA
JoeS, regarding OD cable creep: first, could you clarify the situation? You stated when 'out of overdrive the cable creeps toward engagement.' Does this mean that when you have the dash knob pulled out (OD Locked out), the knob begins to move back toward the fully in position (OD allowed/enabled)?

If this is indeed the scenario, then HH is correct, the cable could provide some some resistance. However, if the cable is disconnected at the lock out arm on the OD, it should remain in locked out position and likewise remain in the enabled position when the knob is pushed in.

Inside the OD, the lock out arm moves a cam that pushes the lockout ring into place when you pull the cable. When the cable knob is pushed in, springs internal to the OD push the lock ring back to the 'OD allowed' position. So although, yes there is a spring that pushes in this direction, the flat area of the lock out arm cam should hold it when you want to lock out.

My suggestion is two fold; If you can get under car and disconnect the cable from lock out arm:

1: Check to see how readily the arm pops out of Lock Out position.
2: Check to see whether the adjustment of the cable is correct to achieve full arm travel. If you are not fully moving the lock out arm to a hard stop, the internal cam may be not fully rotated in which case vibration could work it back to the unlocked out (allowed) position.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posted on: 10/23 10:10:46

« 1 ... 93 94 95 (96)

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
1932 Packard prototype phaeton, nine-tenths left side view, top folded
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.