Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

MHP, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Mounting Autoloite Generator
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rob
See User information
I just finishing doing a coolant system flush on my 2103 and am mounting the fan belt over the generator pulley wheel.

I was having difficulty and noticed that the ears on the generator case didn't fit properly between the front and rear mounts. The rear mount is a flat piece of stock with a 90 that bolts up to the block. There was a gap about 3/8 inch that was filled up by some washers.

Does the rear ear fit behind or in front of the rear mount?

Mine seems to go only one way with the rear ear behind the mount but that doesn't look right.

Does anyone know its it in rear ear fits in front , behind or in between the mounts?

Thanks

Rob

Attach file:

jpg  (93.64 KB)
95_4eda79edeb88f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/12/3 14:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Mounting Autoloite Generator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This picture out of the 21st series ign training manual shows both ears to the front. Any chance an incorrect bracket has been installed along the years. Believe the spacing is different between Autolite and Delco--at least it was found to be so in a later car.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.04 KB)
209_4eda7dd0257a1.jpg 746X440 px

jpg  (19.91 KB)
209_4eda7dda69339.jpg 531X191 px

Posted on: 2011/12/3 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't know about your particular car but also can't recall ever seeing one where the generator "ears" weren't on the outside of the bracket at both ends.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
i'm not sure about the orientation to the bracket, but my first glance suspects that might not be the correct generator.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 15:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Is the tensioning arm bent? Or is an optical illusion to these old eyes because the generator is hanging and not properly supported?

Attach file:

jpg  (45.92 KB)
226_4edaa0aa8a70d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/12/3 17:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
i'm not sure about the orientation to the bracket, but my first glance suspects that might not be the correct generator.

That's what I suspect as well. The original equipment Auto-Lite generator is a GEA-4802A for the 2103 and should not need a spacer between the mounting lugs and the bracket.
Some models with Delco generators did need a spacer.

In answer to Mal's question, the adjusting arm should be straight, not bent.

Edit: There should be a 9/16" thick spacer between the motor and the adjusting arm.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 17:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rob
See User information
Thanks for comments guys.

I read some other posts and I suspect what I have is a job done long ago where a longer belt was used and the original adjustment arm replaced to make for additional lenght and bent for the missing spacer.

To further compound the problem the pulley center has been rounded out and is no longer pressed on the shaft. To mount the pump I had to bolt up the fan , pulley and water pump as one unit and slide it in place then start the bolts. That was a chalenge .

The pump, pulley, fan aside I am still am puzzled about the gap between the generator mounting bracket and the ears of the case. I pulled a stock autolite case that I have and measured it against the one I have. They are identical in lenght with exception of a circular indention in the ears of the non stock generator about the thickness of one 3/4 inch washer.

I suspect that I still have the incorrect mounting plate. Mine measures 5 3/4 long. Does anyone have to compare that lenght to?

Attach file:

jpg  (88.70 KB)
95_4edd34bf4cfb7.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/12/5 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not easy to tell for sure from pic in post #1 above but it looks like the rear post (F ??) is grounded directly to the generator frame. That will cause to genderator to produce full unregulated output. Probably not anything to worry about for short low speed operation but mite need to correct that eventually.

Again, i am only going by the pic. Not real sure.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 17:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
According to the parts manuals, the 2103, 2206, 2306 all have the same part number (341497) for the generator bracket. I'll see if I can get a measurement from my 2206 tomorrow since I'll be under the car working on the brakes anyway.

Edit: BDeB beat me to it.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Your bracket is too short.

Length of the correct # 341497 bracket is 6-9/16" as measured on the outside of the turned up ends.

Brian

Posted on: 2011/12/5 22:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved