Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

Packard5687, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel injected Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saw this photo in the AACA Photo Gallery.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.42 KB)
226_52061934474d4.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/8/10 5:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel injected Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
A Packard V-8 fuelie? What will they think of next??

Posted on: 2013/8/10 7:06
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
The red engine colour, if original, indicates it was originally a Clipper engine. A 320? Should be painted ivory with those valve covers!! Just my two cents worth.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 7:10
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
A Packard V-8 fuelie? What will they think of next??

Probably before you joined the forum but if you're interested, 56Executive posted some Packard documentation on their fuel injection program and photos of his car.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=68565#forumpost68565 I believe there might have been some other photos in a different thread.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 8:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The red engine colour, if original, indicates it was originally a Clipper engine. A 320? Should be painted ivory with those valve covers!!

No, this engine started out life as a 352. It's not factory R&D, but a racer's work in progress, destined for installation in a 74 Chevy Vega for an attempt at a land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The photo above was submitted by one of the AACA forum admins, but the real man behind the project later registered and chimed in. I have little interest in the AACA forums, anymore, but you may find the thread, Packard A Salt Car, of interest.

Packard, however, was actually in the process of evaluating FI systems for production - from several suppliers - back in 55. They even fitted a Bosch mechanical system to a 55 352 (a Clipper, IIRC). Years later, the system wound up in the hands of member 56executive, and decades later, he installed it on his 56 Exec.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, Rich Fox built this engine five years ago. He modified a Hilborn injection system for a Pontiac V8. I supplied some of the parts, i.e. camshaft, oil pump conversion kit. Rich also used a RotoFaze ignition, aluminum flywheel, forged 12:1 compression Arias pistons.

I bought the engine back from Rich a couple of years ago and it's on a stand in my garage.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/8/10 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Very interesting, Jack. Have you ever "bench run" it? It'd be interesting to get one of these on a dyno (if it hasn't been done already) and see what kind of power gains have been realized.

If the "56Executive" engine is mostly stock other than the FI. a dyno of that kind of setup would give a good indication of how much power Packard might have hoped to achieve by just adding FI back in the days of production cars.

There you go, the brand new 1957 Packard with optional Fuel Injection! TIme to beef up the Ultramatic some more, or it would've been the 1957 Packard transmission-eater special.

Also interesting that they would pick a Vega/Packard combination for the speed record run. I wonder what class that would go under? I imagine most folks would be puzzled by the lack of a bow tie engine. The normal expectation is a non-Chevy car with a Chevy engine, not the other way around.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 17:26
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Very cool!

Posted on: 2013/8/10 17:27
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
If the "56Executive" engine is mostly stock other than the FI. a dyno of that kind of setup would give a good indication of how much power Packard might have hoped to achieve by just adding FI back in the days of production cars.

No need to reinvent the wheel, when factory documentation is available right here.

Member 56executive was kind enough to provide the site with a scan of documents regarding Packard Advanced Engineering Division Project No. 354 - Dynamic Studies of (Fuel) Injection Nozzles for our Literature and Manuals archive.

Also, he later provided some additional factory documents in the forum, as image attachments in a series of posts in a thread on Packard Fuel Injection.

IIRC, a beefier (3rd gen.) Ultramatic was also in the works.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Rich chose the Vega because it was narrow. He ran it with a turbocharged GMC 6-cyl, a Pontiac, the Packard and some I've forgotten.

He sold the Vega, but is now building a Y-block Lincoln engine. I sent him the core.

Wonder what that will run in?

Posted on: 2013/8/10 20:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved