Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

hauling car on trailer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
I've got to help a friend load a 48 or 49 Custom 8 Wednesday on a trailer. The trailer is 83 inches wide. Is that wide enough for this model Packard? Also, he said he has those rachet tie down straps. What do we need to put those on when tieing it down? Frame, suspension? Any pics would be great as I'm not sure what's the best way.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/3/24 23:24
 Top  Print   

Re: hauling car on trailer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jesse,

According to the 1948 Packard Owner's Manual, here on Site, maximum width is 77 & 3/8" so should fit on the trailer. I'd check whether you can still open a door on the car to be able to get out if you drive it on. If not, might have to exit by a window which, if the weather is bad, could damage the interior. The other queries I'll leave for those better placed to answer.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 0:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I always use chains with rated D-shackles to anchor the car on the trailer but very strong straps looped a few times should do . . . just don't underestimate the inertia of a 2-ton car when it comes to a sudden halt.
Suggest strong points on the frame (chassis)are the best anchor points, or rear axle (both sides) to the trailer as second choice. Angle the straps (or chains) so any force on them acts as directly in a straight line as far as is possible, against the direction of motion of the car towards the front of the trailer (if there was to be a sudden stop). Same for anchoring the front - anchor at two points on the frame (like front cross-member) and again - angle the straps to be pulling the car forward against the tension of the rear straps.
Tying the car at 90degrees to the floor of the trailer is not a good idea.
Also don't just rely on the winch cable supplied on the trailer to secure the car. It lacks the strength to hold a car and who knows whether the cable is beyond its 'use by' date, or maybe not even attached to the winding drum.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 7:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard had dealers fabricate lifting hooks that would go around and under the bumpers and then hook under the bumpers to the bumper support bars. Those were for lifting cars with a chain hoist so should be plenty strong. IMO, best would be directly onto the frame or axle but if you can't find a decent or convenient place, those support bars should be a relatively easy place to reach and secure your straps.

Just don't make the mistake and try to use the stabilizer bar in front. Many have done so because it is easy to reach and it looks strong. Easy to reach, yes. Strong, No.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've used professional carriers several times to haul the 34 significant distances, and to haul the 56 for its transmission rebuild. They use web straps, 8 in total (4 at each corner). The 34 is easiest because it has a solid beam front axle, on it they for around the axle tubes in the rear and the solid axle in the front, 2 straps at each corner, one fore and one aft. On the 56 they do the rear the same (around the axle tubes) and in the front they attach to the lower A-frame. They always want the parking brake set after the car in tightened down and on automatic transmissions do NOT want the transmission in Park. Battery disconnected of course. On two-tier carriers the lower car is covered with plastic, should the car above it leak some AF, oil, or the worst - brake fluid.

Though I don't believe it applies in this case, let me say it here as a reminder for the future, and this applies to hauling cars cross-country, from warmer climates in the Southwest to the Northeast, especially in the winter. Cars from the warmer climates may not have antifreeze in the cooling system and I know of two cases where engine blocks have cracked enroute due to encountering freezing conditions.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I hauled a few cars on those uhaul trailers, and they have a good system with a strap going around the front tires. Downside is that the car is right behind your rear wheels and every rock and pebble gets thrown at the car on the trailer.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 9:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
We only have 4 straps so I was thinking on each corner of the car is best? Forgive my ignorance but when you say axle you do mean the big piece that each wheel is connected to? Also, what does the stabalizer bar look like and where exactly is it? I do t want to use it by mistake.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/3/25 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The stabilizer bar is across the front of the car bolted with heavy brackets to each side of the frame bottom. A thick bent rod about 3/4" diameter. Unfortunately, it is easy to get to and to mistake for something secure because it is thick and the brackets look substantial. Go the extra mile and either reach way back for the actual frame or reach up for the bumper support bars.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.22 KB)
209_53319e7c975bc.jpg 817X376 px

Posted on: 2014/3/25 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
One other caution: If you are driving the car onto the trailer, watch out for the trailer fenders... there isn't much clearance for the 22nd/23rd series rocker panels. Ask me how I know.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I usually use 4 straps/chains. In the front go from the right front of the car to the left side of the trailer in a 45? angle and from left front of the car to the right side of the trailer. Do the same in the back. That prevents the car from moving back and forth and also side to side.

Oh I found a picture when I picked up my ford torino, hopefully that explains it better.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.89 KB)
5061_5331a59fdedc4.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2014/3/25 10:41
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved