Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 167

Ozstatman, Aiden, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Paint on Ultramatic
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Can anyone tell me what the proper paint colors for a 1951 ultramatic are. What is painted black and what is painted engine gray.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 12:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Paint on Ultramatic
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Same as the engine color.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 13:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Thanks Kev. Should have guessed that.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would keep the paint to a thin light coating so as not to impede heat transfer. The same would be good for the transmission cooler, radiator, and heater core, but using a black lacquer paint. You can get black lacquer in a spray can.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/11/5 10:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
I would keep the paint to a thin light coating so as not to impede heat transfer. The same would be good for the transmission cooler, radiator, and heater core, but using a black lacquer paint. You can get black lacquer in a spray can.

Thanks JW. I already have the engine enamel from Hirsch (Hope that's spelled right). If the engine is Hirsch light Packard gray I am stuck using that paint. Don't think much of the transmission heat is transferred through the case anyway. The oil cooler does the lions share of the heat transfer. Also the paint on the outside of the cooler has little to do with heat transfer. The heat transfer is from the transmission fluid to the cooling water which takes place inside the cooler. However I agree that too much paint on the radiator core would be bad for heat transfer. The paint on the top and bottom tank is not so important. Again the lions share of the heat transfer is between the core and the air through it. Little but some heat is transferred between the tanks and the outside air.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
i am learning how to use the Forums , but i need to know how to identify the right UltraMatic for my 52 200 deluxe. A dead Packard collector with a stack of blocks cranks and transmissions and whatever. I am going out to get a replacemnet Ultramatic and a 327 nine bearing block. all the cranks are stacked leaning and the blocks the same. i can identify the block and cranks " kxxxx? but rods? what about the ultramatics? what am i looking for there? everything is covered in protective grease so it is a good find. I am just trying to find out about identifying Ultramatics , one from another. 52 aS OPPOSED to ?
thanks

Posted on: 2011/11/17 21:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think there is an easy way to tell 51-4 Ultras apart except by serial number. The 50's have a different throttle linkage setup with a bellcrank and late 54 gearstarts have the dipstick tube hole in the pan so those are about all that can be eliminated by sight. Believe the first style torque converter used on the 50-51 has the drain plugs on the front instead of the side so maybe some help if the converters are still with the trans. Otherwise, externally the 51-4 regular Ultras look the same. Some significant internal differences though and the only way to tell would be by an internal examination or SN.

Problem is the only serial number range list I can remember seeing is for the 53 units. Those are listed in 1953 SC Vol 27 #8. I don't know of a number list for earlier or later units but perhaps someone has one or knows of some kind of visible casting or date marks.

SN location on TwinUltra units is located just above pan on the rear case flange just to left of tailshaft. Others will have to say if the earlier or regular Ultras are in the same place.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 23:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
There's only one way to be sure to get the tranny you need.

Take all of them home.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 23:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not aware that anyone has ever researched and published anything on the identifying numbers on Ultramatics, and it sure would be nice to have a way to distinguish them externally. Certainly it's easy to differentiate 1955 from 1956 Twin Ultramatics by the case (cast iron vs. aluminum), and for which model by the alpha-character preceeding the trans #.

But as to 1950 thru 54, a study of the numbers or markings sure would be nice to have.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Attached pic shows what is stamped on the flywheel / ring gear cover of my '51 Ultramatic. Certainly looks like the manufacture date but I don't have any documentation to prove that it is . . . Would need others to look at their Ultramatics to verify whether it's a date.

It reads: '3 21 51' and the part number above it is 433528.

Have to assume the whole auto was '51 and not just the housing with the stamp.

Also - as BigKev said, the whole trans is engine grey but a couple of activation rods are black. If you need pics of which are black I can post some for you.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/11/18 19:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved