Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: The quest for the three ring pulley (chapter 36b)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

I have seen references to the copper restriction for radiators in the marine world. From what I remember, heat exchangers built during the war were considerably oversized, and prone to rapid failure, because they were made from steel.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/6/25 9:45
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Was it not true that chrome from the same era wasn't as long lasting because it was more thinly applied or something along those lines? I've heard it several places but never sat and researched it.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packards made during the Korean war (but maybe not all of those years) suffered from low quality chrome plating. To protect and delay aging a clear coating was applied. I believe it was just called "Chrome Protector". I think it was just a clear lacquer product. The protector would start to peel off as it was exposed to sun and weather. I remember as a young lad applying a paint remover to remove the protector. It was the kind that got brushed on and softened the protector. We would then wipe off what we could of the softened protector and apply another coat of the remover until the protector had been removed. I remember doing this on the plated grille parts. Don't recall any problems of getting it on the painted surfaces. We must have been very careful around the edges where the body and grille met. Thanks for the memory; although, it was not the most pleasant of jobs.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/25 10:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The Index section of the 22nd Thru 54th Series Parts List contains this information:

"A part number prefixed with an "L" means that the part is finished the new "Defense Chrome" which is a Copper, Chrome, Lacquer finish. The same part number not prefixed with an "L" carries the "Standard Chrome" finish."

Posted on: 2011/6/25 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe nickel was in short supply and was left off all but the most critical pieces subject to extreme wear. Interior pieces I think were mostly the good stuff while big exterior items were expendable.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have a couple of hubcaps that have the 'L' designator. Very skimpy chrome and as has been pointed out, you need an industrial strength paint remover to get the old dull lacquer off.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
During the Korean War all car makers were under restrictions on the use of strategic materials including nickel, copper and possibly other things.

Chrome was terrible. My father had a 52 Chrysler New Yorker a few years ago. All the chrome was pitted. He bought a NOS grille piece in perfect condition, after he installed it and it sat outside it was faded and pitted in less than a year.It did not seem to be protected by lacquer.

Other parts were affected. They put on skimpier radiators to save copper and made up for it with a bigger fan. Nylon gears were substituted for bronze or brass. Lots of small changes were made where you wouldn't see them.

There was even talk of freezing car production or forcing car makers to make the same models for several years.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The time has come to show you a Packard in Korea.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: wikipedia]

Posted on: 2011/6/25 12:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Moving back from Defense Chrome to radiators and fans, the strategic metals restrictions were industry wide (not just the auto industry) and seen in many places - for example the changeover from brass to nylon speedometer gears which some would say was actually a technical improvement.

The restrictions on copper use resulted in radiator size (efficiency) being reduced in automobiles, refrigerators, air conditioners, etc. and in Packard the use of fans with more pitch were used to compensate for the less-efficient radiator. This gives an easy way to improve cooling of 51-54 cars that have the standard (non-defense restricted) radiators and standard fans - just substitute a fan that originally was on a car with the downsized radiator. The downside is that it is said by one source that the steeper pitch fan required about 10 more horsepower at 60 mph - not trivial. This has been covered in print frequenty over the years in many sources, though I don't know of any original-source documentation about it - but perhaps the 51-54 parts book or dealer/service letters have more information.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

"New York City's Aluminum Collection. The aluminum collected will be used to replace new aluminum in the manufacture of comsumer goods. Photo by Palmer."

[picture source:http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/]

Posted on: 2011/7/3 4:17
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved