Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 61

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Paint or Powder Coat Rims?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I would bead blast the rims, fill in the pits and then paint them.

they are already bead blasted, then i am taking them to get the pits filled and have them trued and bead rolled for perfection. then painted/powder coated. the outside of the rim has no pits, just on the inside and on parts of the bead (they do hold air, but i don't like the pits)

if painting them is like 100 bucks a rim....well it looks like powder coating at 25 a rim is in my future. LOL!

i don't know, its a hard decission. to many variables LOL! one way or another i hope to have the white walls on it before Salado. ;0)

What a better way to learn how to paint. Buy yourself a paint gun, compressor and about $150 in paint and primer and you'll all set. Personally I'm know I'm crazy, but I would have those wheels so smooth

Posted on: 2010/2/25 20:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
wow that's kind of an eye opener. all those different codes for the same paint color. wow.

i also noticed there is a 44 and a #44.....wonder what the difference is there....apparently nothing...just the number layout. Packard is #44.....weird.

i guess it just comes down to....whether i paint like factory or powder to look like painted factory....will anyone notice, probably not. so i will just pick one and post pics and you guys can all guess what i did. wont that be fun ;0) maybe i will reveal the answer if your lucky LOL!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I painted mine with rattle can paint from Tower paint. I can guarantee that there was no Powder Coat to match this color.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.26 KB)
1_4b87341c226f0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
what do you do for clear..what did you use for primer..and did you get it in high gloss?

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:44
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BH wrote:.....Apparently, Packard had some very exclusive colors, but black was not one of them.
Brian,

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No clear. Just rattle can paint on top of a quality cured primer.

Your original Packard wheels and and body did not have a clear either.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i figured it wasn't, but didn't you have to wax the heck outa these cars back in the day? because there was no clear....and didn't the paint fade bad and fast. idk...i am young and only know modern paints.

i don't want to do that. soooo...i think modern paint and clear is a must, but it has to be in the right color.

p.s. i am not too young to enjoy some three stooges, which i am watching right now :0) hehe!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:38
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hank -

I think of supplier paint codes as specific to a formula, rather then any particular combination of year/make/model. As such, I suspect that as pigments and tinting compounds became obsolete, over the years, and were replaced by something else, new formulas were created and likely given new numbers.

Now don't hold me to this, but I've heard that PPG's 9000 is pure black and all other blacks in that series are a tint thereof. 9300 has a bit of blue. 9700 has a bit of brown.

The difference in some tints may be so subtle that you wouldn't notice it between the wheels and the body.

On the other hand, I remember an instance decades ago, when a high-school friend had a black '74 Javelin AMEX and did some spot repair on the rear quarters with a rattle can, expecting it to blend - as it had with other cars of other colors. Yet, when the paint dried, it had a definite brown shade to it that stood out like a sore thumb against the factory-applied black.

If you're dead-set on powder-coated rims. Ask your shop of choice if they can shoot a sample on a piece of scrap tin the next time they do a high gloss black job for some other customer. Then you can hold that sample up against a section of Onyx Black on your Clipper. Surely there's some original paint in the engine bay, trunk or door jambs that will polish up to a shine for comparison.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Modern paints have lots of advantages over the older lacquers and enamels, but those older paints were capable of great depth of color and gloss, and if well-cared for could have great longevity as well, though certain colors and some early metallics were not as durable. My 34 Eight has mostly original 1934 nitrocellulose lacquer, has great gloss as you can see, and only gets a wax job every other year. So I wouldn't discount acrylic or even nitrocellulose lacquer or acrylic enamel as automotive paints, and they are especially easy to apply and may be a great choice for something like wheels.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm planning on painting my car with a modern single stage paint. Here in Calif if you go Clear Coat-Base Coat, then the Base Coat has to be water based for a shop to legally spray it. Basically you only allowed a certain number of VOCs. The clear coat basically uses up your allotment. So that is why the base coat has to be water based (no VOCs). But if you paint it in Single Stage, then you can use your VOC allotment there. Plus it will have a more original look with a single stage finish as compared to a modern Clear/Base finish.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved