Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 16 »

Re: 56 Patrician bought off ebay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question. Haven't looked recently. Mine are Gates Premium XL and are lightly cogged.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had ordered a fuel pump kit and fuel hose from Then and Now. The kit did not have the plug that goes into the hole to cover the pivot pin. I assumed they did not supply it. The fuel hose was too short. I contacted Then and Now to return it for a refund. They readily took it back, but it cost me $5.xx. A few days later I received another kit? This one had the plug, but was missing the valves and rivets??
I called and they acknowledged a mistake had been made and would I please ship it back. I did - cost me some more money.
Then they didn't credit me with the returned hose. I was getting a little agitated and called again. They apologized and said they would correct immediately. They did issue me a credit and ALSO sent me a Gift Certificate in the amount of the credit. Now, mistakes are easily made, but Then and Now corrected their mistake and followed up with a Gift Certificate.
That is what I call "Taking care of a customer".

Posted on: 2011/4/11 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, pump kits for the Carter pump were hard to find 10 years ago, unless someone has gone into manufacture again. No advice on that. I buy the hoses from the PAC region that offers them, modern ethanol-compatible fuel injection quality hose, correct ends. Not expensive.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I should have put some more detail in my post. I had ordered an AC kit for the one pump and then ordered a kit for the Carter pump. The Carter pump is the one where a snafu occurred. I did send the fuel hose back and ordered one from Niagara Packards. I always like to carry a spare fuel pump in my vehicles. Both kits were from Then and Now.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

chuangya
See User information
I think you are trying to get one of every model for 1956!...

Posted on: 2011/4/15 0:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Go Away!

Posted on: 2011/4/15 0:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Randy:

Just as an aside, do you know how "mung" is obtained. It actually is one of the most expensive substances known to man.

ALK

Posted on: 2011/4/15 7:30
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Randy,

This car seems to have every option available (and some that weren't)!

On your build sheet, I'm a bit confused by the "Power-Lok" option. Is this referring to Twin Traction?

Also, on the "REQ" entry before the number, could it mean "Required" as in required option, rather than "Request?"

The power door lock feature was included with the power windows on 4-door 1956 models (really just the Patrician, I believe). The pushbutton locking feature could be purchased separately as an option, but apparently was a "required option" with the power window lifts. at least according to Kimes.

Brian can probably come in here and set the record straight on the power lock option. But since even he was mystified by the "REQ" designation, I thought it worth chewing that bone a little more.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 15:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PL (Power-Lok) was Dana's (Thornton-Spicer Division) name for the locking differential, Twin Traction was Packard's name for it. You'll find it shown that way in BH's RPO codes for 1956. (Very useful job BH, I refer to it often).

Why they chose the Dana designation rather than their own is one of those cases where you wish you were a fly on the wall when these things were discussed and resolved.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guy -

I have no factory reference on the use of REQ, but I've never seen it on any other production order or build slip - to date. The notion that SPEC and REQ point to some sort of factory-approved special production request (as well to another detail file, by number) sure makes sense - especially with the unusual complement of equipment on Randy's car. In lieu of any other bona fide documentation, it's simply our best guess.

As for the new rear axle option for '56, it's simply noted as:

PL Twin Traction Safety Differential

...on the Trade Letter to Dealers, and how it always was noted in my RPO chart for 56th Series.

"Power-Lok" is Randy's interpretation. That's a term I've heard used more in recent years, and mainly with Chrysler product. Growing up in a GM family, I'm more used to hearing "posi".

Electric Door Locks (DL) was a new option for '56, and - yes - included only with Electric Window Lifts (WL) on four-door sedans. However, since those locks were not available on two-door models and the WL code was carried over from previous years for ALL models, I suspect that DL and WL had to be specified separately on the production order - for pricing and assembly purposes. (All body styles with WL had four window motors.)

Posted on: 2011/4/16 17:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved