Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There's no way in hell that vacuum wipers will ever be superior to electric wipers. They got rid of them for a reason, they're worthless.

Posted on: 2009/7/25 0:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH rained like hell on the way to the car show, wipers worked great, received compliments on the attempt to maintain originality. Thanks for your help

Posted on: 2009/7/26 19:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad things worked out & car was well received. You both deserve it. Did you get the horn fixed as well?

Posted on: 2009/7/26 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Turbopacman writes: There's no way in hell that vacuum wipers will ever be superior to electric wipers. They got rid of them for a reason, they're worthless.

I have to agree. I have fought the vacuum wipers on many cars. Most would stall on acceleration and going up a hill forget it. I must add that I was surprised when the wipers on my 51 worked as well as they do. They slow a bit on acceleration but I can not get them to stall at all no matter how hard I try. I guess that shows that vacuum wipers can work well when everything is in good shape.

Posted on: 2009/7/26 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Either vaccum or electric can do the job adequately, but I believe a vacuum motor (that is in good working order) works at its best when it has an auxiliary source of vacuum, for those times when manifold vacuum is low.

Whether you go electric or stick with the vacuum motor depends on personal preference and whether you're willing and able to spend the time and money to renew a 50+ year old mechanical system.

Personally, if I had one of the good old Trico electric motors (which are also renewable) on-hand that would bolt right up, I wouldn't think twice about installing it, temporarily, whilst the vacuum wiper was off for rebuild. I might do same if the performance of the renewed vacuum system still didn't suit my tastes for touring or daily use.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Being a bit of a tinkerer, I find it interesting how Packard solved or created a problem and don't mind living with their choice. Ficken did a good job rebuilding the motor; I was surprised how powerful it is even at idle. I used a small pry bar to gain the leverage over those stout cable tensioners when attaching them corectly, the gloves was a very good suggestion. The compensator does stick a wrench in to it as it may not have been a good design or my unit is problematic. When attached it makes the control cable twist around a bit and somehow increased the tolerance for a good solid park. With the compensator off they snap right back with it attached it takes half a minute. I may rebuild the washer pump as you have shown but doubt if I would like to use it with the rubber tubing so close to the radio and dash components. The horn now works fine without any help from me. Incidentally she was given a show favorite trophy.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 23:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Becky_C
See User information
Windshield wipers shouldn't be removed especially during rainy season. You wouldn't know when will going to rain. Getting caught in the rain is something every person has to deal with now and then. In case you are in a automobile too, then you need to be able to see where you are going still. You need your <a title="Stay away from spending excess on wiper blades" href="http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/saving-money/wiper-blades-visibility/">wiper blades</a> to be able to work so you can see past all the water. There shouldn't be any streaking or smearing. When buying new wiper blades, keep in mind that Consumer Reports explains price doesn't have an effect on how good a wiper blade is.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 3:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2010/8/11 3:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
There's no way in hell that vacuum wipers will ever be superior to electric wipers. They got rid of them for a reason, they're worthless.

I have to disagree. As mentioned, when working properly, they're probably better, as they can go much faster. With the auxiliary vacuum source, they're very reliable. Mine slow down some upon heavy acceleration, but I find that is a minor problem because all you have to do is lift off the "go" pedal slightly, and they quickly start flapping as fast as a humming bird's wings.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 9:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with West on this, properly maintained vacuum wipers are just superb, faster than most electrics at their maximum, plus the advantage of stepwise speed reduction down to a crawl if desired. Yes, they loose a little speed momentarily under periods of heavy throttle. Folks who have problems with them probably haven't had the motor lubricated or serviced, cables and pulleys lubricated, and vacuum booster pump in proper functioning order.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 9:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved