Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard HEMI
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

V8fan
See User information
Mr. Witzky invented, among others, the Daimler Benz Unimog!
Later he came to the United States under "Operation Paperclip" and work for the US Navy and the Departement of Defense.
Later he joined Packard, where he invented several patents.
Then he worked as a consultant and lived in Texas.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 776.09 KB; Hits: 98

Posted on: 2013/2/20 0:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard HEMI
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day V8fan,
to PackardInfo, not too many members from Switzerland. And for that information.

If by chance you should have a Packard, or better still Packards, I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 3:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

V8fan
See User information
Dear Ozstatman

here in Switzerland are Packard cars a rarity!

Other cars are a plenty, such as Mopar, Chevy, Olds...

I'm a former Mopar man, I once had a '71 Challenger RT, Schinznach car (means locally here assembled!)

Now I am looking for a good Packard example, maybe a Clipper V8 or one with a 1932/39 V12 engine.

In the meantime I'm very interested in Packard Research & Development, secret projects and prototypes, experiments and the like!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 6:16
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
The Packard V8 is a Hemi? Did not know that. If so did it pre-date the Chrysler Hemi? I've read that Peugeot was actually the first to develope hemisphereical combustion chambers.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

V8fan
See User information
Dear Phil53

The 1955/56 V8 is not a Hemi.
But maybe J.E. Witzky developed one for Packard.
Maybe as a later replacement!
Outstanding is, it has only one rocker shaft. The Chrysler 1st generation Hemi and the 426 Hemi have two.

J.E. Witzky's construction has only one bent rocker shaft?

It would be nice to know, if ever a prototype engine was made? Maybe somebody know more.

Have a nice day!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 12:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've read that Peugeot was actually the first to develope hemisphereical combustion chambers.

That could be, Phil, I don't really know but hemispherical combustion chamber designs go back to almost the very beginning of the gasoline engine. One of the more noteable designs was the monster twin cam flatheads (so called "T heads") made famous by McFarlan, Pierce-Arrow, and others. Some of these approached 800 cubic inches in displacement.

Here's a photo of a McFarlan T-head with the heads off, note that although it's a flathead the intake and exhaust valves are on opposite sides of the block operated by twin camshafts and thus allowing a cross-flow hemispherical combustion chamber.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.78 KB)
177_51251198c8304.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/2/20 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hmmm...a quick Google search says this:

http://www.moparstyle.com/history/earlyhemimotor.htm
The first hemi engines built were by Chelsea Mfg. Co. in Chelsea, Michigan in 1903. The Chelsea Welch had a two cylinder engine with overhead valves and hemispherical combustion chambers and put out 20hp. Chelsea continued to build Hemis until 1909 when the company was acquired by General Motors.

And then there is this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071127184551AAQn5ct
Hemispherical cylinder heads have been used in some engines since they were first used by the Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905. Most applications have been in higher-priced luxury or sporting vehicles, because the hemi design is more expensive to build. Among first applications with hemispherical heads were also Peugeot Grand prix Car 1912 and Alfa Romeo GP car in 1914.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 14:08
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
And Witzky's daughter is still alive and apparently doing OK in ABQ:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704278404576038211346583524.html

Posted on: 2013/2/20 14:25
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Very interesting concept. That no manufacturer has ever built exactly to his design indicates there are some inherent problems.

His thinking on valve layout predated the Chevrolet Mystery Motor porcupine head which was such a breakthrough in NASCAR in 1963. It became the big block Chevrolet introduced in 1965.

Both Chevrolet and Ford built similar semi-hemi engines but used ball-and-stud rockers or individual pedestal rockers canted at the appropriate angle, with the angle being in the pushrod approach.

Can't remember anyone trying to swing rockers in an arc off paired canted shafts with pushrods parallel to the bore layout.

Thanks for sharing the link.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/2/20 14:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

V8fan
See User information
Dear Mr. Vines

Thank you very much for your comments!

Maybe the Chevrolet 1963 Mark II Mystery Motor and the Chrysler A-279 Ball Stud Hemi were just patent evasion?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 17:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved