Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 257

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tail Lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Hey guys! 😁 I've got one day to tackle this issue (work). One Tail light is brighter than the other.... And my brake lights don't work. I intend to replace bulbs tomorrow, and check my wiring. Is there anything else I should check, or is that generally what it might be? (License plate light works fine)

Posted on: 2015/12/13 23:23
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Re: Tail Lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I forget which car you have and you didn't mention the model or if the harness is original or a replacement. That makes some difference in brake lights. With stock looms, fusing and where feed comes from is different for various years and models. Brake light switches do go bad so if the fuse is good that would be the first thing to check. If it is a 55-6 with the three terminal switch, a definite problem place.

Pre 23rd series (mid 1949 and before) and brake switch feeds the bulbs directly with a connector or splice to the right side usually located near the left tail light. Anything after 23rd series and once the brake light switch provides voltage the circuit goes thru turnsignal switch and the bulbs are fed separately out of the switch. Depending on your car, that would determine what to look for if the fuse and brake switch is good.

Depending on how much difference between bulbs, the brightness can be due to a bad ground on the dim side. If ground is OK, it could also be the wrong filament is being lit. Some models have connectors for each filament near the left tail light. Perhaps one bulb is reversed in the connectors. Make sure the bulbs are the ones called for in owners manual. Something that has come up occasionally is the sockets can be worn so the locating pins don't index properly and will allow the bulb to be inserted incorrectly. Probably not an issue now but at one time there were some import bulbs that had slightly offset pins that were also slightly smaller in pin lengths. That slight difference allowed bulbs to be inserted improperly. Look carefully at the bulb base and the terminal locations to verify when the bulb is inserted and twisted to lock in the sockets the terminals actually connect with the socket.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 0:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Howard, Would you like to come and live in my garage? It's heated.

I wish I knew half the stuff you do. Thanks for your knowledgeable and thorough responses. I'm learning from others' problems thanks to your answers.
Joe

Posted on: 2015/12/14 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
No Howard, MY garage has cold running water and heat. Could maybe throw in a bed too.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 12:55
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You guys are too kind. I have heat and running water too and don't even spend that much time in my garage. My tolerant range anymore is between 60 and 70 degrees. Anything else and forget it.

With the rain and wind the newscasts have been reporting in that region the last few weeks, it would take dynamite and then some to get me around the Portland - Vancouver area. I've got a good friend in Woodland that has been trying to get me up there to work on his Packard and he hasn't been any more successful -- and he even tried this last summer when you were supposedly having good weather.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
interesting Howard,
I live in Vancouver, WA and keep my 4 cars and RV stored in Woodland. Small world.
Steve

Posted on: 2015/12/15 13:23
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Biggest reason for one dim tail light, and very especially on the 41-50 Clipper-style bodies, is a bad ground.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
This is indeed the season to thank HH56, as the others have above, and at the risk of diminishing Howard's praise, include Owen_Dyneto, Peter Packard, and Tim Cole, as founts of encyclopedic wisdom.
A happy Christmas, smooth 2016 to these gentlemen so generous with their time and knowledge, to all those who visit PI,
and, of course, BigKev, who started it all.

Posted on: 2015/12/16 2:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Check the voltages at the lamp bases and the ohmage to ground. Especially, if it's a 6V. It can be a loose/corroded base, bad bulb, or something more serious. Sounds like the brake switch is not making contact, but a guess. Rare if both terminus circuits are faulty at same time but share common feed, look there first.
Yes, there's a alot of knowledge and willing to share on this site and I've certainly benefitted. Thanks to all.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
To the Forum members Mike(su8overdrive) acknowledged I'd add Ross Miller. There are many who have contributed in ways, small and large, and to all who have
for doing so.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 14:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved