Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 »

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I have been driving the car around town and decided to work on the speedometer, since it didn't work. I went for a little ride and held the speedometer cable in my hand and found it wasn't turning. I went under the car and found the speedometer cable was connected to the transmission. I took the car to a local speedometer repair shop and took in 2 other speedometer in hopes one would work. The shop found the speedometer cable broke inside the housing and found none of the speedometers I had worked. They did rebuild one speedometer but they couldn't fix the speedometer with the trip odometer.

Who can repair the speedometers with the trip odometer? My local guys can't and now I have 2 cars that the trip odometers don't work.

I must have had an exhaust leak as when I started the car with the repaired speedometer, it was quieter. So the speedometer shop tightened up my exhaust pipe where it connects to the exhaust manifold.
It's nice to know the speed I am going with out using an app on my cell phone.
I want to drive this car to California for the PI National Membership Meet in February 2017.

Posted on: 2017/1/28 2:53
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
There are quite a number of shops that work on speedos, Bob's in MI has a good reputation. I had a good one on Ebay for months, it seemed sale proof but finally sold.
Grab this stuff while you can!

Posted on: 2017/1/28 9:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have no personal experience with Bob'shttp://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp but his shop was recommended on another Packard forum by a customer satisfied with their work. Might be a place to make inquiries if no one else has a first hand recommendation.

Wolf is another that comes highly recommended by posters here for gauge repair but I don't know if they do speedos.http://antiqueinstrument.com

Posted on: 2017/1/28 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

azclassiccoach
See User information
I used Dicks speedometer in Tempe and had nothing but problems and was very unhappy. They were expensive and it doesn't even come close to reading correctly.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 14:29
Mike
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Bill's Speedometer near Dayton OH has been around since early 60's and is able to repair/replace odometer assemblies. "Quality Work at Fair Prices" is his motto.

www.bills-speedometer.com

Posted on: 2017/2/7 9:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Thanks for the advice on the speedometers. I'll remember it for the next speedometer that needs repairing, like on my newest 55 Clipper.

I thought I had an exhaust leak where the exhaust pipe hooks to the exhaust manifold, but I have exhaust leaking out the butterfly valve, where the spring is on the exhaust manifold. The muffler shop says they can fix it, but they want the exhaust manifold off the car....
I just removed and replaced the exhaust manifold and used high temp rtv last fall. Now I guess I have to order new exhaust/intake manifold gaskets, remove the manifolds, get the leak repaired and put it back on. I was hoping for a short cut, but there doesn't seem to be one (if I want it done right).

I am driving the car to the PI National Membership meet, with the exhaust leak, in a couple of days and won't have this fixed in time. But I will have fun driving it and going to the meet.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 3:05
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For best (longest-lasting) results exhaust manifold gaskets should be installed without a gasket cement.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 9:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I drove the Patrician to and from LA for the PI Membership meet and the car did pretty good. I found I had to add 2 gallons of water every time I filled the gas tank. I found a freeze plug that is bad and leaking. I did buy a new freeze plug and manifold gasket set at the swap meet.
I haven't fixed the exhaust leak yet. That is the next project.
I am not convinced the distributor was fixed. The Patrician did not want to start on the last leg home, so I removed the distributor cap and found the points were too close together. What moved? The distributor shaft can still be moved (wiggled) while in the car to open and close the point gap. I will pull the distributor out and give it to a different mechanic and have him put the right bushing in my distributor.
Meanwhile I have to remove the grill and fender to pull the intake/exhaust manifold off to fix my exhaust leak.

I have bought 2 more Packards and my wife wants me to do more on this car before I do more on the newer Packards (both cars have been added to the owner registry).

Attached is a picture of my Patrician in the garage of the Hotel where we were staying. I got there on Thursday with no rain. It rained all day Friday and part of Saturday with the Patrician in the garage. It sprinkled on Sunday for the drive home, but not more than 3 minutes. So I had a dry drive to and from the meet.

Attach file:

jpg  (183.80 KB)
1632_58bce344e97f9.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/3/5 23:21
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I have bought 2 more Packards and my wife wants me to do more on this car before I do more on the newer Packards (both cars have been added to the owner registry)"
Duane,
I love PackardInfo people who support the Registry!

Posted on: 2017/3/6 0:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
It is not necessary at all to remove the grille and fender to remove/work on the manifolds. See service manual.

There is an access panel on the right inner fender panel which is removed with a few bolts which makes work easier, but you can do it without removing it

Posted on: 2017/3/6 1:02
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved